Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd door handle behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I'd share a strange problem, that I may have created myself.

This past weekend when entering the car to return home, the driver's door handle came out and didn't open the door. That single handle self retracted, then extended fully to it's limit without opening the door. The window was partway open so I opened it from the inside handle. It never retracted after that, even while driving or locked. I figured it was probably one of those micro-switch wires.(I called Tesla Parts, but always have to leave voicemail and they never call back.)

Yesterday after work (already tired of climbing across from the passenger side) I resolved to fix the handle. But I knew I needed to retract it to get it out of the door; so my only hope was to unplug and re-plug and hope it retracted, and unplug before it extended again. Well it retracted and stayed retracted.

This is where I made my biggest mistake, not testing it for fear it would get stuck extended. I removed it from the car and tested the 2 usual micro-switches with a test meter, but both were fine. I plugged it in and tested it successfully a few times before mounting it.

THEN the window started acting up, it would not auto-open or close; only manual up and down. THEN it stopped working entirely, with it open all the way. With rain expected today, I tinkered for a while, considered trying to get at the window motor plug and manually power it up; but with the window down that was hopeless. (Good thing too.) Fully reassembled, the window worked manually, but only with the door shut - I hadn't tried latching the door this whole time. Also every opening of the door lowered the window by 1/2 inch, but it wouldn't go back up when the door closed.

I found a few threads on here about re-calibrating using the down-hold up-hold method, but by break time today it was automatically reset.

Here's why I think I may have caused both these issues: I probably tried to pull the handle to open the door before it fully extended, and possibly even a second time as it self retracted and extended. That probably put the handle in the permanently extended mode. What I believe caused the window issue was testing the door latch several times without the window switches connected. I don't know for sure if it needs those controls for the door-window-action or not, but it's my best guess.

The initial issue you describe has happened to my 2013 P85 a few times. They had to replace the handle in mid-2015. The SAME handle presented with the SAME issue again this week, on the way to the service center to pick up another vehicle. After determining that it was NOT the $150 cable replacement, they called me to get permission to replace the entire handle for $470. I refused. I took it up the ladder and finally got them to replace the handle gratis. I think they do have a known issue with handles presenting that will not open the door.

Was it extended all the way; so when you tug, it doesn't move because it's already out that last 1/8"? That's what happened to mine that one time.

If it did move when you tug on it, I can't imagine it being anything but the micro switch. The control module maybe? Not likely.