Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd fix to a Model X fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vawlkus

Feb 28, 2017
Halifax
So, I recently got my Model X back from service after a standard error, that had a fix I've not heard of before, so I wanted to see if anyone here has had/heard of this before.

Standard "car needs service" error, that got escalated when the car wouldn't charge after returning home. Tesla tapped in remotely, and determined the pack was running too hot to charge (it took charge a couple of days later after cooling), and picked the car up for service. During their tech review, they traced the problem to a Junction Box, replaced that, and it seems to have solved the trouble.

My question is, has anyone else heard of or seen that fail before? As far as I can remember, I don't recall seeing a junction box failure before.

• Helpful
Reactions: Fiddler
I think I've read some posts here about junction box being replaced, I dont remember why it was replaced. Why do you call it an "odd fix"?

P.S. I wouldn't call any errors as "standard", "generic" - maybe

I think I've read some posts here about junction box being replaced, I dont remember why it was replaced. Why do you call it an "odd fix"?

P.S. I wouldn't call any errors as "standard", "generic" - maybe
I called it odd mostly because I haven't seen that used as a repair methodology in regards to a Tesla yet, and because it didn't seem to fit with the, admittedly limited, information I had about the problem.

It's standard rather than generic, because the "car needs service" is almost always the first error message you get, and will have no information. It's the subsequent error messages that give the error/fault context.