Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd/Laggy Autopilot behavior with cross-traffic?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed this a few times now, driving along on autopilot on a highway or two lane road where oncoming traffic turns left across my lane. What happens is that the car turns in front of me (usually quite far away, nothing I'd worry about were I driving manually), clears the lanes, and _then_, autopilot seems to finally realize that there was a car in front of it and it nearly panic stops/slows probably 20-30kph or so. In the past few days this has happened to me about 4 or 5 times already.

A few things are odd about this, first, that it decides to slow down at all (as mentioned, it's not as though the turning car is close enough to cause me any worry), but also that it decides to slow down far too late, when the turning car is already well outside any potential collision course. It seems potentially dangerous (as anyone behind me would not expect a sudden deceleration for literally no reason), or at least embarrassing (sorry, my car has a super slow reaction time. Hey if that turning car would have stopped for say, 5 seconds, we might have hit it! Yes I know it's already gone...).

Anyone else notice this? Better yet, anything I might be able to do, if not to stop it, to maybe file a bug report of some kind?