Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd noise from front after right turns only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we took our 2013 S85 in for a metallic ratcheting noise from the rear(excessive rust on axle splines was the verdict) and also a mysterious noise from the front right of the car. The latter noise only occurs after righthand turns, often after turning up a slight incline. It sounds more like pigeons, honestly, and usually lasts about 5-10 seconds. The sound does not seem to be coincident with the speed of tire rotation which leads me to believe it's not a wheel bearing. Tesla torqued all power steering related items, etc., and checked the area but the noise is still there. It happens about 2/3 of the time.

Has anyone had anything like this? It's pretty frustrating chasing a ghost. I might jack that side up, turn the steering to the right, and manually spin that wheel to try to confirm it's not a bearing. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

I would definitely do that. Not too much of a hassle.

Does the sound have any sort of rhythm or cadence that might indicate that it is related to your fwd movement? The reason I ask is due to your comment and I wonder if a part is easing back into position (steering?) or something is rebalancing pressure, though I can't think of what that might be.

I would definitely do that. Not too much of a hassle.

Does the sound have any sort of rhythm or cadence that might indicate that it is related to your fwd movement? The reason I ask is due to your comment and I wonder if a part is easing back into position (steering?) or something is rebalancing pressure, though I can't think of what that might be.

No real rhythm to it. I do wonder if it might be air suspension related since it usually happens when the right turn is over a bump or incline. Sometimes is sounds similar to when the AC compressor has shut down and is spinning to a stop. It's hard to explain and has been impossible to record just yet.

I had a compressor problem with my SAS very early on. A bad solenoid kept asking for pressure and then crapping out, letting all the air escape. Lots of error messages. But the car seemed to drive just fine, albeit a bit low for my taste. The compressor did sound similar to the AC. It was a super simple fix, however it required the car to be flat bedded in. They were unbelievably awesome about the entire process. There was no specific occurrence that started the problem that I can recall. I was driving winding mountain roads when it happened.