Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd noise from rear of car on slowing

Asterix187

Oct 7, 2017
England
I have recently received my Tesla and seems to have turned into the worlds largest loop taxi service where I pick people up from their house and drop them back 15 minutes later... A few people whilst on the FOC trips have commented that they have heard an odd noise from the rear of the car that sounds a bit like an automatic handbrake turning on.

My thoughts are that as I have standard re-gen braking turned on its something so do with that as it seems to make the noise when slowing down, approaching roundabouts etc. It sounds almost exactly like the noise an electric handbrake makes and only last for the same amount of time.

Any comments gratefully received.

jjh1234

Jul 8, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
In my experience, a slight amount of high pitched noise from the newer cars is normal. I can only hear mine when the radio is off and the car is otherwise silent. If you have a "D" car, it's a little worse in Range Mode. I understand it's a little louder in the older cars. If it's really loud, it may indicate early problems in the high voltage system somewhere (like the contactor). There are multiple other threads here about this noise. Some call it the "balloon noise". Do some searching.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC