Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd paint rash on Falcon Wing Doors - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
944D5AD0-410F-47A4-B814-7EA795EE3858.jpeg
E5BB13D9-8B48-4E4A-B70B-9F1EAA4ED651.jpeg
B6C376B9-8452-4C45-A711-7270E6CA18B9.jpeg
B26FA06E-8E70-4E06-A0FA-03281171FB8F.jpeg
I sold my solid black model S this spring and picked up a used model X in obsidian black metallic. The paint is a lot easier to keep clean, lacks the deep gloss of the solid black, but looks great for longer than the 15 minutes you get with solid black in the real world.
Anyway, I noticed that I have an odd paint situation on the rear doors, ahead of rear wheel wells. It looks like thousands of tiny paint chips, however it’s super smooth. I’ve used a clay bar on it and a medium cut polish - that cut out some of the lighter white dots, but not the majority. I’ve had two people look at it for suggestions of how to approach it. All three of us can’t tell if it’s paint spray at the factory, paint spray from the road, or thousands of paint chips possibly from salt or gravel thrown up from the front wheels. The paint was like this when I got it, so it wasn’t a surprise and not a huge deal. I’m curious if anyone else has experienced this and have suggestions. It’s on both sides and prominent where the curve is, but not anywhere else on the car, the flat part around the wheel well, or the side mirrors (in case it was from stuff thrown by the front tires).

I hadn't even thought about mud flaps on a car like this, but good call. I just bought mud guards from amazon and installed them last night. Took less than 2 minutes per side. It's crazy they don't come standard given the wheel offset and the likely damage.

I hadn't even thought about mud flaps on a car like this, but good call. I just bought mud guards from amazon and installed them last night. Took less than 2 minutes per side. It's crazy they don't come standard given the wheel offset and the likely damage.

I believe mudflaps affect range slightly (but don't quote me on this:)) . I had the same issue and had my wings paint touched up then put a strip of PPF on the lower section. Seems to work well. Good luck!