Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd pattern on windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this odd pattern on my windshield this morning after the 44.30 update.
34D88084-E4EF-414A-9399-5967B32AD33D.jpeg

It hasn’t been out of the driveway for at least a couple days. Any clues? I have never seen that pattern before even in the worst of weather!

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Nope, I don’t have full self drive and I don’t have summon. But as you look at this picture you’ll see this afternoon when the windshield finally thawed out in the sun – that the obvious heating element was in the blacked out portion of the windshield.
0634C448-DE29-4AA2-98DB-114FD977AF05.jpeg

No wonder those windshields are so expensive. Lots of hidden items to be buried within!

Reactions: baldyloxx
Upvote 0
When was your car built? Be interesting to track how long this feature has been in the cars but not activated. Wife’s April 2021 SR Y has the hardware for this feature. My January 2022 does as well as the heated wiper park. Haven’t seen the pattern on either of our cars.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When was your car built? Be interesting to track how long this feature has been in the cars but not activated. Wife’s April 2021 SR Y was the hardware for this feature. My January 2022 does as well as the heated wiper park. Haven’t seen the pattern on either of our cars.
March '21 - Mine does not have the heated wiper park feature, else it would have shown in my first post.

Upvote 0
March '21 - Mine does not have the heated wiper park feature, else it would have shown in my first post.
If you look behind the passenger side frunk hinge you will see two small hockey puck looking discs with a round wire going in and a flat ribbon cable going out under the windshield. The heated wiper park enabled cars have 3 of these pucks. We know the heated park is a 2022 feature but it appears no one knew about the heated camera housing. Or how to activate it or when it activates itself. Based on your post it has to do with V11 rolling out but it’s odd that the hardware has been there since at least March 2021 and the feature wasn’t activated until now.

Upvote 0
If you look behind the passenger side frunk hinge you will see two small hockey puck looking discs with a round wire going in and a flat ribbon cable going out under the windshield. The heated wiper park enabled cars have 3 of these pucks. We know the heated park is a 2022 feature but it appears no one knew about the heated camera housing. Or how to activate it or when it activates itself. Based on your post it has to do with V11 rolling out but it’s odd that the hardware has been there since at least March 2021 and the feature wasn’t activated until now.
And fwiw, part numbers on both windshields are the same so maybe the wires aren’t embedded in between the layers of glass? Seems odd that they’d have the whole loop heated if it wasn’t embedded in the glass but also odd that there isn’t a second part revision for the heated wiper park windshield.

Parts catalog image on,y shows the two picks for the camera loop. And the difference in the parts revision maybe is the the quantity order? The 10 windshield part would be for repair companies?
1645454234595.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And fwiw, part numbers on both windshields are the same so maybe the wires aren’t embedded in between the layers of glass? Seems odd that they’d have the whole loop heated if it wasn’t embedded in the glass but also odd that there isn’t a second part revision for the heated wiper park windshield.
I don't think the wires are between the layers of glass, but on the inside surface like the rear window heated grid wires. We just can't see them because of the dark edging around the perimeter of the glass.

Upvote 0
I don't think the wires are between the layers of glass, but on the inside surface like the rear window heated grid wires. We just can't see them because of the dark edging around the perimeter of the glass.
We routinely have temps in low 30s and frost here overnight and I’ve never noticed the pattern. Guess I’ll need to start looking now.

If the wires are on the inside surface, why run the wires all the way around? Why not have the heater part of the front camera housing? There’s already wires there. A single stranded wire running with the camera wiring must be cheaper than the flat ribbon type cable running all the way around the windshield.

Upvote 0