Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd pulsing shuttering sensation Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a little odd and is very minor but there's an odd pulsing sensation while driving recently. It's kind of like power to the motors is cutting in and out ever so slightly.

I know they had a recall on the electric parking brake and I was wondering if that could be causing it.

Not likely to be the parking brake, but we will need a lot more detail to make any sort of guess as to what it is.

Does it only happen at certain speeds or all the time?
Does it change when the speed changes?
Does it only happen or change under acceleration?
Does it only happen or change when braking?
Does it only happen or change when turning?
Does temperature or road surface affect it?
Does it feel like it’s coming from the front or back? Does it feel like it’s coming from the left or the right?

I have to second GWord's opinion.

I experienced the 'haptic' lane departure warning driving at 35-40 mph on city streets lane departure warning was set to on at the time.
The first time it happened it felt like the left front tire had gone out of balance as I negotiated a slight left curve in the 2-4 lane road.

But there's no sound or sensation or anything from a specific tire. It's like you are Feathering the accelerator perfectly ever-so-slightly.

Is there not a chime or symbol on the screen that comes up for Lane departure warning? I guess I'll check the manual but I've never experienced, to my knowledge, a lane departure warning.

But there's no sound or sensation or anything from a specific tire. It's like you are Feathering the accelerator perfectly ever-so-slightly.

Is there not a chime or symbol on the screen that comes up for Lane departure warning? I guess I'll check the manual but I've never experienced, to my knowledge, a lane departure warning.
No, it's 'noise' in the steering wheel. My GF says she can hear it, but I just feel it. There is no 'indicator' that it's on, so if you're not aware, it feels like a bad tire balance situation, or that you're on the lane reflectors.

Try turning it on and off and see how it feels/sounds both ways on the same road.

upload_2017-10-27_10-37-53.png

I'll give it a try for sure. But it doesn't sound at all like what you guys are describing. Would also be incredibly ineffective as I can barely tell it's happening and again it's like the whole car is losing momentum(?) not the steering wheel or tires or anything.

Maybe it is activating and it's just not working very well in my car. Just seems crazy that they have this and there's no chime or icon on the screen or anything.

Last edited:
Have the same problem 13 Model S85 w/19" wheels. 56k miles. 3rd drive unit (Rev Q) and new Goodyear Eagle RSA2s installed at 40k miles. Rotated every 5k with no hint of inner edge wear yet (I had Tesla set rear camber angle as close to 0 as possible)

Occurs at between 30-40mph on really smooth roads. Feels as if the road was paved unevenly at rhythmic interval so the car stutters ever so slightly rhythmically. If the roads have small bumps/cracks, then mostly get masked out. I notice it only occurs if I apply accelerator between 10-20kw which puts it at mainly a flat level road and not incline/decline. Observed it on multiple roads so definitely not the road surface.

Have the OP had recently changed tires for winter? It might be that new tire fitment has lost balance on wheel(s) and you hear/feel this at certain speed?

I'm not OP but I guess this reply was for me :) Same tires since 40k. Its not only speed dependent. Depends on speed + accelerator input at 10-20kw and really smooth roads to feel it. Seems to have started in the last couple of months. I read Model X has worse issues due to firmware (maybe setting the balance between 2 motors incorrectly?) But my car is single motor RWD. And no air suspension.

At 30+ mph, this issue is not related to the uneven magnetic fields (cogging torque) people observe at slow parking speeds ( Subtle stutter/pulsing at slow speed ) as rotor has plenty of rotational momentum to even it out. A friend suggest much likely due to controller to the motor.

One additional note is this motor has a slight whine (sounds like motor/drive train bearing) that is louder in cold weather at about 33mph. I think sound still there > 35mph but just gets masked out by wind. Bump steering don't change the sound so likely rules out wheel bearing. SC is denying this is an issue given Tesla's new service stance.

Last edited: