Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd Shutdown of Car overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled in to the garage, it was connected to WiFi and plugged it as usual. I didn't notice anything odd last night.

This morning, I walked to the car, the door handles presented themselves, but both displays were black. Off. That was odd. I sat in the seat. Still BLACK. I pressed the brake, still off.

I have my car set to stay connected at all times since I am plugged it when home.

I tried the double scroll wheel press - no response. I was about to panic when I remembered the above the scroll wheel double press. I am not sure it that did the trick or if my anxiety did something, but the driver display came on and said something like "Please wait while powering up". The center console had a T on it for 30-45 seconds until it came back to life then all was normal.

I should add that like another post here, NAV had to reinitialize too.

Anyone have any idea what caused this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I pulled in to the garage, it was connected to WiFi and plugged it as usual. I didn't notice anything odd last night.

This morning, I walked to the car, the door handles presented themselves, but both displays were black. Off. That was odd. I sat in the seat. Still BLACK. I pressed the brake, still off.

I have my car set to stay connected at all times since I am plugged it when home.

I tried the double scroll wheel press - no response. I was about to panic when I remembered the above the scroll wheel double press. I am not sure it that did the trick or if my anxiety did something, but the driver display came on and said something like "Please wait while powering up". The center console had a T on it for 30-45 seconds until it came back to life then all was normal.

I should add that like another post here, NAV had to reinitialize too.

Anyone have any idea what caused this?

Thanks.
My car will do that about once a week if on energy saving. I just wait for it to come up on it's own. I just don't use energy saving unless leaving the car not plugged in

Similar problem here, for a second time within a couple of weeks, so I suspect a bug introduced in a recent update. Also not on saving mode, and checkmark "allways connected" checked.

The additional consequence is that I programmed the car to start charging at 1am so the battery is warm when I leave at -11C this morning, but because of this shutdown, it didn't start charging so I'm stuck with 50km of range and a cold battery. (The car was connected all night to the UMC.)

I rebooted since it happened a week ago so it does not appear to be the solution.

Anyone else with this problem recently?

Hello

The same happened to me twice lately. Once around Christmas and also today. This morning I got in the car which was plugged for the night and programmed to charge at midnight to discover that the charge did not happen and had to wait around 1 minute for the whole system to power up.

This is annoying as I rely for the car to be charged in the morning. Had to go extra to a supercharger before going to work and lost 30mins for nothing.

I hope they fix the issue soon

Interesting. This started happening to me recently too. In 12 months of ownership, I've never had to do the "scroll wheels" reset. In the past week alone, I've had to do it twice. In both instances, got in the car and both screens were blank.

I've always had Energy Savings "On" and Always Connected 'unchecked'

I’ve had the same problem. I discovered it because I happened to check to see if my scheduled charge had started and it had not. That was the first time. Last night, it happened again but this time, the car was actively charging when the car went into this “deep sleep”. I did determine that the car continued to charge but was very difficult to awaken.

It was Sunday morning when my husband found our car in a state of deep sleep. He approached and door handle presented. Screen wouldn't come on. I forgot what other things he mentioned were either on or off. He's sleeping now or would ask. He did the brake thing and got a message about powering up I think. He took a few photos. But minutes, maybe like 10-20, went by and nothing. We had recently had the MCU replaced due to yellow border so wondered if it was related. The car had I think around 80% charge, no updates scheduled or charging scheduled. Had been sitting in driveway for a few days. Temp wasn't bad, maybe only down to 40s overnight. I hadn't checked the app in a few days and said he hadn't either.

He called support and after a bit reached someone who took him through I think the scroll wheels. It finally woke up but never took so long before. Been ok since then and we'll ask about it when it goes in for annual in March. Also on 2017.50.2 but have been on it for sometime with no issue. Would be nice to know why it happens.

Last edited:
I’ve had this happened to me once. Parked at the airport at about 70% charge unplugged for 5 days. By day 4, the car went offline and won’t wake up from the app. When I got back to the car, the handles presented but nothing happened when I got in. All screens was blank for a minute and then the steering wheel screen lit up to say something about systems powering up. It took about 5 minute and then everything started up normal. Only lost 5% charge in 5 days and it was pretty cold, about 2C.

Power saving on, always connected off.