Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd Supercharger Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at a Supercharger and pulled next to a Model X. He charged for 10 more minutes after I arrived and left. While I'm sitting in my car I'm watching others come in to charge. Three Model 3s came one at a time to that same spot, but quickly left for another charger or just gave up and left. Seems like the charger was broken and they can't charge. Once all the spots were filled a Model X arrived to charge next to me. She stayed and looks like her car is charging.

Kind of odd that the charger only works for the Model X and not the Model 3s.

Are you sure they didn’t just get the amount of battery charge they needed. Were they acting like they didn’t get power out of the Supercharger?

On a road trip in my LR RWD Model 3, my standard Supercharger stop lasts 8 to 12 minutes. That’s generally enough to get me charged to reach the next stop. Just long enough for a bio break, refill the water bottle and get back on the road.

I’ve also done a few 2 minute Supercharger stops when I just wanted to stop and add a Supercharger I was already driving by to my list of Visited Supercharger sites. If you saw me do one of these, you’d think I didn’t get any power and just left in disgust.

I saw them move to another stall to charge. There was also a sound from the SC or their car when they plugged in like there was an error. It's not getting a handshake or something.

I have used that stall before so it's very odd. I was thinking it could be heat but there was time for the cable to cool down between the 3 model 3s that came and tried.

Maybe an explanation of the behavior.

Superchargers work as pairs. If only one of the paired SCs is in use, it can deliver its entire electrical load (subject to the car's charge state and taper). But, when someone else comes and splits the pair, the SC splits the juice, giving only a small charge to the newer car. Then, as the older car tapers, it ramps up the newer car's allotment.

So, someone wanting an immediate flamethrower will avoid a "taken" paired unit.