Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd velcro under centre console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have recently got my Tesla Model S, and noticed this odd bit of velcro. Anyone know what its for?

IMG_3513.JPG

There was a MotoGP mechanic who would post really close up pictures of some random part on the motorcycle and ask twitter fans to guess what it was, taking multiple pictures zooming out until someone guessed what it was. He would do this each race weekend.
Is this sort of like that game ;)

I still think it was used to prevent small items from sliding under the cubby. Try placing a credit card, key card or a small piece of paper (receipt, movie pass, coupons, etc.) on the console and then drive around. They will slide up and disappear. That piece of Velcro will prevent most things from sliding back there or at least slow them down long enough for you to grab them. I had to take my console apart twice to retrieve things that slid back there.

Not Velcro. 3M brand "Dual Lock". High temp, high strength. Used elsewhere in the car and called out by name in EPC.

Not sure what it is for, may have fallen off something above the cubby. Black dual lock requires a 24 hour "cure" before being used...

Similar pieces can be found e.g. in (face-lift) frunk air vent assemblys. I believe they are simply to soften plastic on plastic touch surfaces, so there would he less resonance noises.

You can see them in this video at least starting around 20:30 when reassembling the ducts.

I don’t think the piece belongs where it has been stuck on your interior. Could be that some anti-rattle work has been done during previous ownership, but the placement makes no sense.