Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new Model 3 LR, and I cannot find how to display the Odometer readings. I see it at the bottom of my phone app, but not on the car. The Owner's Manual says that it appears when I press the "T" symbol on the touchscreen - only problem is that there is no "T" symbol there. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you are also looking for the trip computers. If you hold your finger in the lower left side of the screen and swipe right it will pull them on to your main screen. The swipe up and down on the displayed computer to see additional trip computers.

TPMS is in the same place but rather than swiping right, start out in the middle of the screen and swipe left.

You can also use voice commands, Hold down the right nipple and say, display TPMS or display trip computer.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0
My wife and I share the car. She's a pretty timid driver, where I'm... not so much. ;) But even so, we're only at around 275 Wh/mile over the life of the car. It's a 2019 "Stealth" Performance, not sure what the mileage is... Honestly, the mileage and the battery health are two things I try not to look at, as I'll start to obsess about them way too much. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, found it. I must say it is pretty spartan - simply shows total miles ever driven, same as on the phone app. But at least I now know where to find the odometer reading on the car, which I needed when I registered it.
I don't even know what to say... The odometer shows you the miles the car has driven. It's as "spartan" as every other car. I don't know why Tesla has to be special and give you "more info".

Upvote 0
I bet a lot of 3 and Y owners would appreciate having a Trips tab like the S and X still have. They could still have the "odometer cards" like they currently offer on the 3 and Y and just add the Trips option so they could see everything at once.
1620310790724.png

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick and Phlier
Upvote 0
I have a new Model 3 LR, and I cannot find how to display the Odometer readings. I see it at the bottom of my phone app, but not on the car. The Owner's Manual says that it appears when I press the "T" symbol on the touchscreen - only problem is that there is no "T" symbol there. Any suggestions?
Yeah that “T“ icon was removed in a recent software update so the owner’s manual is out of date. You’re going to need to swipe left/right underneath the image of your car to bring up the trip meter details. Swipe up on the card to see total odometer numbers. I think it’s in the Software menu too where you’d go to do updates .

Upvote 0
A renter just reset the trip odometer that I've had running since I got the car. My google-fu tells me that this information is now gone forever. Seems like an oversight or purposeful omission that Tesla doesn't include this info with the lifetime odometer.

What other car do you know of that has a trip odometer that not reset when the user requests it to be reset? Now, you could argue that the "oversight" is not having the trip odometers locked out in certain car modes, but "purposeful omission", to not have permanent trip card markers?

Every other vehicle I have owned that had separate trip meters allowed them to be reset, so not sure how its a purposeful omission to not have permanent trip meters that cant be reset.

Upvote 0
The odometer is not resettable.

The trip meters are.

They are different things.
Yes, of course they are? Are you understanding what I'm saying? I would like the know the total charge I have put on the battery and the average watts/mile that the car has been driven for the entirety of it's lifetime. As mentioned earlier in this thread and others on the internet, the only way to know this is to never reset one of the trip meters. That seems silly, why not track that info somewhere where it can't be reset?

Upvote 0
Now, you could argue that the "oversight" is not having the trip odometers locked out in certain car modes, but "purposeful omission", to not have permanent trip card markers?

Every other vehicle I have owned that had separate trip meters allowed them to be reset, so not sure how its a purposeful omission to not have permanent trip meters that cant be reset.
I don't want "permanent trip meters that cant be reset", that'd be silly. I just want to be able to see how much charge has been put on the battery and the watts/mile efficiency for the lifetime of the car, I don't care where this information is stored just that I can access it and it can't flippantly be reset by a renter. Other people want this as well, if what I've read on here and other Tesla forums is to be believed. Maybe they're just waiting until they launch the Tesla car-sharing app to implement features like this? With all the engineers they got working there I find it hard to believe that no one would have ever thought to make sure this info is tracked and include it somewhere in the UI.

Upvote 0
Yes, of course they are? Are you understanding what I'm saying? I would like the know the total charge I have put on the battery and the average watts/mile that the car has been driven for the entirety of it's lifetime. As mentioned earlier in this thread and others on the internet, the only way to know this is to never reset one of the trip meters. That seems silly, why not track that info somewhere where it can't be reset?
I agree that there should be a user accessible lifetime energy usage meter. The car actually does track this information and it's available if your get Scan My Tesla. I believe it tracks total AC charging, total DC fast charging, total energy usage, and energy usage while stationary. With that you can quickly back out the driving and total wh/mi.

Upvote 0
I don't want "permanent trip meters that cant be reset", that'd be silly. I just want to be able to see how much charge has been put on the battery and the watts/mile efficiency for the lifetime of the car, I don't care where this information is stored just that I can access it and it can't flippantly be reset by a renter. Other people want this as well, if what I've read on here and other Tesla forums is to be believed. Maybe they're just waiting until they launch the Tesla car-sharing app to implement features like this?

IIRC the info is available via 3rd party apps if you really want it.

With all the engineers they got working there I find it hard to believe that no one would have ever thought to make sure this info is tracked and include it somewhere in the UI.

It IS tracked, as mentioned above... but most engineers at Tesla aren't UI engineers, they're working on self driving, or actual vehicle/battery engineering. Totally different fields.

Remember- Teslas UI still doesn't even offer user-selected waypoints in navigation. Something Garmin has had for like 20 years.

Upvote 0
I agree that there should be a user accessible lifetime energy usage meter. The car actually does track this information and it's available if your get Scan My Tesla. I believe it tracks total AC charging, total DC fast charging, total energy usage, and energy usage while stationary. With that you can quickly back out the driving and total wh/mi.
That's thru OBS, right? I've messed around with the unofficial API and IIRC it was in there as well.

Upvote 0