Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odometer rolled over 100K MILES on 2020 MY AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was the day, a little over 22 months into ownership the odometer rolled over from 5 digits to 6---- 99.999 -> 100,000
She is holding up well, needs service for squeaky suspension/control arm at some point soon...
in the last few weeks I have lost a few more miles than expected, topping off at 286 miles after a full charge before a long drive.
that puts MY degradation at about 10% loss from new 316 mile range. I was around 7-8% loss for a while then experienced a larger slide in the last month
I wanted to share my data because I wish it existed when I was looking into making my car purchase. I'm curious to see how the data fills in for the next 100k miles

tesla battery.png
822343E5-3519-4825-9A24-D81B723AD398.jpeg

That seems to be right in line with Model 3's. It was one of the big factors for me when ordering in 2020. Seeing about a 7% to 10% battery degradation at 100k miles (sometimes higher if supercharged a lot) didn't seem too bad. The data past that isn't real great (smaller sample size) but it seems to show it leveling off and not degrading too much more, unless heavy supercharger use is used (like daily or weekly).

How often did you charge the battery to a max of 70 to 80%? Or did you always go to 90% and often to 100?

@Eto Demerzel we’re projected to be at 303 on a full charge by the Stats app. I believe we started at 330 (Feb 2021 Model Y LR). So I believe we’re at only 8% degradation in the first 99K miles.

Note we’ve charged to 100% less than 5 times. Superchargered less than 15 times and live in the relatively mild climate of the SF Bay Area. A previous 2018 Model 3 we owned for over 80K miles didn’t fare so well. It experienced 13% degradation. However it was operated in a very high heat climate (weeks of 100F+ temps) which probably contributed to its rapid decline.

How do you really know what the battery degradation is without doing a formal test of running the car to a dead battery?
  • The car could be estimating your range based on a number of temporary factors such as efficiency history and the like.
  • The Y has significant range remaining beneath the reported 0% (I believe an additional 10 - 20 miles remaining depending on the vehicle).
If you are not accounting for the above two factors (especially the battery content in reserve "beneath" 0%), then you cannot claim degradation. The EPA numbers are based on running the battery to dead (not to displayed 0%).

With as many miles as you've logged, you should know that what the car displays as the 100% charge range is neither accurate or consistent all the time.

All of that being said, it is well documented online that most Tesla's see somewhere between 5% - 10% battery degradation over the first few years of life. This degradation then dramatically flattens off to negligible.

I do think it is cool you are tracking this and agree it will be good to see how it goes for the next 100k miles. I think it would also be very cool if you also tracked - somehow - your supercharging speed/rate over time. In theory, that should also slow down as your battery gets into the 100,000's of miles.

@Eto Demerzel we’re projected to be at 303 on a full charge by the Stats app. I believe we started at 330 (Feb 2021 Model Y LR). So I believe we’re at only 8% degradation in the first 99K miles.

Note we’ve charged to 100% less than 5 times. Superchargered less than 15 times and live in the relatively mild climate of the SF Bay Area. A previous 2018 Model 3 we owned for over 80K miles didn’t fare so well. It experienced 13% degradation. However it was operated in a very high heat climate (weeks of 100F+ temps) which probably contributed to its rapid decline.
appreciate the feedback
It seems unless you have a serious failure - like a control unit or motor fail - it will be pretty trouble free with the only thing i'm seeing with regularity is control arms.

How do you really know what the battery degradation is without doing a formal test of running the car to a dead battery?
  • The car could be estimating your range based on a number of temporary factors such as efficiency history and the like.
  • The Y has significant range remaining beneath the reported 0% (I believe an additional 10 - 20 miles remaining depending on the vehicle).
If you are not accounting for the above two factors (especially the battery content in reserve "beneath" 0%), then you cannot claim degradation. The EPA numbers are based on running the battery to dead (not to displayed 0%).

With as many miles as you've logged, you should know that what the car displays as the 100% charge range is neither accurate or consistent all the time.

All of that being said, it is well documented online that most Tesla's see somewhere between 5% - 10% battery degradation over the first few years of life. This degradation then dramatically flattens off to negligible.

I do think it is cool you are tracking this and agree it will be good to see how it goes for the next 100k miles. I think it would also be very cool if you also tracked - somehow - your supercharging speed/rate over time. In theory, that should also slow down as your battery gets into the 100,000's of miles.
These are good points, but I’m not interested in this level of detail at current mileage. My observations are anecdotal info from an EV enthusiast. Also 100K miles isn’t really a big deal. Historically I keep my ICE vehicles for 250K miles and I fully intend to do the same with our Model Y. I think it would be interesting to perform these detailed tests at 200K miles and again at 300K miles. I know DOE has performed tests up to at least 200K miles, but I’ve never seen the data published anywhere.

Service mode will allow the degradation to be tested.

These are good points, but I’m not interested in this level of detail at current mileage. My observations are anecdotal info from an EV enthusiast. Also 100K miles isn’t really a big deal. Historically I keep my ICE vehicles for 250K miles and I fully intend to do the same with our Model Y. I think it would be interesting to perform these detailed tests at 200K miles and again at 300K miles. I know DOE has performed tests up to at least 200K miles, but I’ve never seen the data published anywhere.
in two years- that's a lot of driving!
Age is a much bigger factor. 10 yrs on, how components hold up will be a bigger factor.

Reactions: Electroman