Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM '20 Performance Wheel Bent - Now What?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KyleM3

Jul 21, 2020
PA
Add another to the list: my Performance wheel has bent.

To be fair, I'm almost positive on the exact pothole that caused this and it was massive. It's the front right and it's the flat area (the edge of the lip) between the spokes. I was in the market for going aftermarket (or maybe Zero-G), but wasn't really prepared to do so financially RIGHT now. With that being said, is it possible to get a replacement through Tesla? Who do I even reach out to? And what's the cost, if so?

Anyone with any insight here would be greatly appreciated. My other issue is I've achieved a fairly flush setup with H&R springs and spacers (14mm/17mm). I assume my stock wheels are +40?

Thanks for any help!

To be fair, I'm almost positive on the exact pothole that caused this and it was massive. It's the front right and it's the flat area (the edge of the lip) between the spokes. I was in the market for going aftermarket (or maybe Zero-G), but wasn't really prepared to do so financially RIGHT now. With that being said, is it possible to get a replacement through Tesla? Who do I even reach out to? And what's the cost, if so?

Anyone with any insight here would be greatly appreciated. My other issue is I've achieved a fairly flush setup with H&R springs and spacers (14mm/17mm). I assume my stock wheels are +40?

Thanks for any help!

You need to book service through the app. The wheel costs $750 from Tesla, with another $50 for mount and balance, plus Tax. Ask me how I know...

Tim

$750?? OP might as well consider getting aftermarket wheels, and sell the other 3 20" performance wheels to recoup costs.

+1 on getting aftermarket wheels. This will you to customize your car a bit.

This is kind of funny, as you both are saying " $750 is too expensive, so spend $2000-2500 on aftermarket rims". Even with selling the 3 rims (likely one at a time, since someone would likely either want all 4, or 1 as a replacement), is it going to cost less than replacing the one wheel?

This is kind of funny, as you both are saying " $750 is too expensive, so spend $2000-2500 on aftermarket rims". Even with selling the 3 rims (likely one at a time, since someone would likely either want all 4, or 1 as a replacement), is it going to cost less than replacing the one wheel?

I’m choosing to replace the one wheel. I’m going to have it repaired, and I purchased a used tire and extra Bluetooth TPMS sensor. Now I’ll have a full sized spare I can keep in my garage in the event something happens to the another wheel or tire. Easy swap while any future damage is repaired or replaced.

Tim

750 per wheel for a cast boat anchor........you can get forged wheels for half the price that are much stronger and about 10-12lbs per corner lighter.

There are entire threads dedicated to forged wheels here, take a look, I paid 1600 shipped for a set of forged 20s that i am very happy with.

The larger wheels are more prone to damage. The tires for those sizes are like rubber bands and don’t provide much protection for the rims. It was one of several reasons why I chose the 18 inch wheels. Looks like other posters in this thread are giving good advice. If you must have larger wheels, perhaps aftermarket is the way to go, if Tesla road service will touch them.

750 per wheel for a cast boat anchor........you can get forged wheels for half the price that are much stronger and about 10-12lbs per corner lighter.

There are entire threads dedicated to forged wheels here, take a look, I paid 1600 shipped for a set of forged 20s that i am very happy with.
I agree with you on the "cast boat anchor" part. But can you please link me where to get some 20" FULLY forged wheels for $1600?

Danny

Thanks for any help!

Have you checked with any wheel repair shops? I actually bent 3 of my 19” wheels this winter and had them all repaired for less than $100/ea. Money well spent. The right wheel person can work some miracles. Regretting replacing my 18s with 19s, but that’s a different story.

I agree with you on the "cast boat anchor" part. But can you please link me where to get some 20" FULLY forged wheels for $1600?

Danny
jovawheels.com

There are a few threads, myself and many others bought them, theres a picture of my car in the thread. Everyone on this forum who has bought them, are happy with them, including me.

I’m choosing to replace the one wheel. I’m going to have it repaired, and I purchased a used tire and extra Bluetooth TPMS sensor. Now I’ll have a full sized spare I can keep in my garage in the event something happens to the another wheel or tire. Easy swap while any future damage is repaired or replaced.

Tim
Hi Tim,

Where did you get the bent rim fixed? I have a similar issue. I have one bent rim that caused a flat. Replaced the entire rim. Now I have an extra bent rim that I would love to get ready for a spare if needed.

-Nick