Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not "consensus," it's fact. NACS uses Power Line Communication (PLC, AKA the method CCS uses) for DC charging, it was in the standard from day one. Older vehicles without retrofit do not support PLC (which uses a patented chip). Superchargers use CAN instead.

"For DC charging, communication between the EV and EVSE shall be power line communication over the control pilot line as depicted in DIN 70121."
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/the-mapping-singularity-is-near-medium-definition-maps.225350/

The only exceptions are some EVgo chargers that actually use a built in CHAdeMO adapter, but these existed before NACS were a thing and being it's just a CHAdeMO adapter, power is limited to 50kW.

I had been waiting (and waiting, waiting, and waiting...) for the retrofit to become available for my 2018 M3LR, and now when I go into the Tesla app (Upgrades->Accessories->Charging->Adapters) to check availability, I can no longer even FIND the CCS Combo 1 Adapter...

If I go to tesla.com on a computer, the page for the CCS Combo 1 Adapter tells you to login to view compatibility:

1707792101884.png

But as I have a compatible MY, once logged-in, that is all it speaks to, and doesn't offer me the ability to checkout with BOTH the Adapter AND Retrofit:

1707792445069.png

So, is the retrofit available for M3 yet??

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I had been waiting (and waiting, waiting, and waiting...) for the retrofit to become available for my 2018 M3LR, and now when I go into the Tesla app (Upgrades->Accessories->Charging->Adapters) to check availability, I can no longer even FIND the CCS Combo 1 Adapter...

If I go to tesla.com on a computer, the page for the CCS Combo 1 Adapter tells you to login to view compatibility:

But as I have a compatible MY, once logged-in, that is all it speaks to, and doesn't offer me the ability to checkout with BOTH the Adapter AND Retrofit:

So, is the retrofit available for M3 yet??
So I contacted my nearest Service Center here in BC earlier today and they advised, by email, that the retrofit was not available currently for the Model 3 and Y. I then asked if the part required for the retrofit was available for purchase; no response as yet. (When I tried to order the adapter and retrofit online, it seemed to indicate that the retrofit was only available currently for the Model S and X.)

So I contacted my nearest Service Center here in BC earlier today and they advised, by email, that the retrofit was not available currently for the Model 3 and Y. I then asked if the part required for the retrofit was available for purchase; no response as yet. (When I tried to order the adapter and retrofit online, it seemed to indicate that the retrofit was only available currently for the Model S and X.)

Yeah, that is what it said in both the app and tesla.com for the longest time (retrofit only available for MS and MX), but that was when I could actually FIND the CCS Combo 1 Adapter within Upgrades->Accessories->Charging->Adapters on the app... Back in the REALLY early days, I originally had it under Service, but it's not been there for some time. At this point I have to think that the number of MS and MX owners that are actually seeking the retrofit has to be minimal...?

I guess I was getting "hopeful" that my inability to find the Adapter in the app, even when viewing it from my MYLR, was maybe, possibly, traction...

Curious if they'll sell you the ECU (and perhaps the wire harness)...

Yeah, that is what it said in both the app and tesla.com for the longest time (retrofit only available for MS and MX), but that was when I could actually FIND the CCS Combo 1 Adapter within Upgrades->Accessories->Charging->Adapters on the app... Back in the REALLY early days, I originally had it under Service, but it's not been there for some time. At this point I have to think that the number of MS and MX owners that are actually seeking the retrofit has to be minimal...?

I guess I was getting "hopeful" that my inability to find the Adapter in the app, even when viewing it from my MYLR, was maybe, possibly, traction...

Curious if they'll sell you the ECU (and perhaps the wire harness)...
Part of the problem is that we don't even know what form the upgrade will take in the case of old Model 3s. The newer ones just need a new ECU and plenty of people have done that one themselves. The older Model 3s can't do that because the new ECU isn't compatible with our charge ports.

The upgrade could come in one of two forms. The first would be replacing both the ECU and the charge port assembly. That would be expensive and wasteful, but could probably be done with parts already in the parts inventory. The second would be a new version of the ECU that is backwards compatible with the older charge ports. That would require a significant effort engineering and manufacturing the new part, which won't be available at the parts counter until sometime after the upgrade is available.

That's why the current DIY approach is to use the "bundle of wires" hack make the new ECU work with the old charge port. I'd do it myself if I had any actual need for CCS, but I live in SoCal where there's plenty of Superchargers and also own a Model Y that I would use for any kind of real long distance travel. Of course, I haven't bothered to buy a CCS adapter for it, either, and now that everyone is jumping on the J3400 bandwagon, probably won't.

Last edited:
Part of the problem is that we don't even know what form the upgrade will take in the case of old Model 3s. The newer ones just need a new ECU and plenty of people have done that one themselves. The older Model 3s can't do that because the new ECU isn't compatible with our charge ports.

The upgrade could come in one of two forms. The first would be replacing both the ECU and the charge port assembly. That would be expensive and wasteful, but could probably be done with parts already in the parts inventory. The second would be a new version of the ECU that is backwards compatible with the older charge ports. That would require a significant effort engineering and manufacturing the new part, which won't be available at the parts counter until sometime after the upgrade is available.

That's why the current DIY approach is to use the "bundle of wires" hack make the new ECU work with the old charge port. I'd do it myself if I had any actual need for CCS, but I live in SoCal where there's plenty of Superchargers and also own a Model Y that I would use for any kind of real long distance travel. Of course, I haven't bothered to buy a CCS adapter for it, either, and now that everyone is jumping on the J3400 bandwagon, probably won't.

Do we have any idea what the retrofit for MS and MX vehicles of the same vintage as early M3 vehicles entails? I would expect that the ECU/Port compatibility issue would apply across all of the models of approximately the same vintage...?

As to the adoption of J3400 by other EVSE providers, it's still based on CCS, such that it won't useable on models that haven't been retrofitted. Also, keep in mind that there despite there being press that J3400 is a "standard" now, technical specifications for it have yet to be ratified, so NACS cables/sockets for new/existing CCS EVSE equipment can't be manufactured/installed as yet.

Reactions: GSP
Do we have any idea what the retrofit for MS and MX vehicles of the same vintage as early M3 vehicles entails? I would expect that the ECU/Port compatibility issue would apply across all of the models of approximately the same vintage...?
It entails adding a CCS ECU inline with the existing one. (Between the charger and charge port.) It has been available for a long time. (Made originally for European Model S and X vehicles.) Tough I though I heard that vehicles with the gen1 charger , 2014 and older?, were not compatible and would require a different retrofit. (Maybe a replacement of the charger with a newer one?)

technical specifications for it have yet to be ratified, so NACS cables/sockets for new/existing CCS EVSE equipment can't be manufactured/installed as yet.

That is weird, considering there are already companies selling NACS/J3400 EVSEs. And there are a few NACS/J3400 DC fast chargers in the wild. (But I don't think any of them are UL listed yet.)

Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H

As to the adoption of J3400 by other EVSE providers, it's still based on CCS, such that it won't useable on models that haven't been retrofitted. Also, keep in mind that there despite there being press that J3400 is a "standard" now, technical specifications for it have yet to be ratified, so NACS cables/sockets for new/existing CCS EVSE equipment can't be manufactured/installed as yet.
I was referring to my MY which is CCS enabled when I said I thought I would probably not need an adapter.

Charging companies don't have to wait for the final J3400 spec to install NACS plugs. Between the NACS spec and the draft J3400 specs, the standard is well enough understood that they should be safe enough even if they need a few firmware tweaks down the line.

Reactions: GSP and israndy
That is weird, considering there are already companies selling NACS/J3400 EVSEs. And there are a few NACS/J3400 DC fast chargers in the wild. (But I don't think any of them are UL listed yet.)
Charging companies don't have to wait for the final J3400 spec to install NACS plugs. Between the NACS spec and the draft J3400 specs, the standard is well enough understood that they should be safe enough even if they need a few firmware tweaks down the line.

Not challenging either of you when I ask this, honestly curious, which EVSE companies are currently selling/shipping/installing DC Fast CCS-based EVSEs with NACS/J3400 sockets on them?

Without a ratified technical specification and/or UL listing, while I'm sure there are advanced prototypes, testing, and even demo units, I would also expect the potential product liability (damage to vehicles and/or electrical shock to user) would be so astronomical and not something insurers would be willing to indemnify against that there is nothing being sold/shipped/installed as yet.

Not challenging either of you when I ask this, honestly curious, which EVSE companies are currently selling/shipping/installing DC Fast CCS-based EVSEs with NACS/J3400 sockets on them?

Here are links to the two publicly available NACS/J3400 fast chargers that I have seen:
ChargePoint is currently shipping NACS/J3400 AC EVSEs, as well as retrofit cables to put on old EVSEs: Buy Home Flex EV Charger: NEMA 6-50, 14-50, or Hardwire | ChargePoint

Emporia also has NACS/J3400 EVSEs, though I think they have only shipped units to reviewers, and you can't purchase them just yet. (They appear to use a cable from a Tesla supplier, as it appears identical to what is on a Tesla Wall Connector.)

Last edited:
Here are links to the two publicly available NACS/J3400 fast chargers that I have seen:

Bold and perhaps ill-advised to use likely prototype cables, perhaps slightly more understandable at the ChargePoint HQ. I note that both are DCFCs rated for <70kW (and One Bethany is apparently power-limited to 32kW).

ChargePoint is currently shipping NACS/J3400 AC EVSEs, as well as retrofit cables to put on old EVSEs: Buy Home Flex EV Charger: NEMA 6-50, 14-50, or Hardwire | ChargePoint
Neither are shipping... "estimated to ship in early 2024" and "should ship in early 2024", but yeah, these are ~12kW AC EVSEs.

It's still encouraging to see some progress in the filed all the same.

Bold and perhaps ill-advised to use likely prototype cables, perhaps slightly more understandable at the ChargePoint HQ. I note that both are DCFCs rated for <70kW (and One Bethany is apparently power-limited to 32kW).
There is another NACS DC fast charger at the NXU headquarters:

As I recall they say it, and the cables, are rated for 700kW. (Not there are currently any vehicles that can actually draw that much.)

Someone recently used it with an adapter on their CCS motorcylce and said it was full speed: