Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super important question here, folks: how do you pronounce “Chademo”?
It's pronounced cha-de-mo (3 syllables).

This tells you how to pronounce the syllables:

This one even has clickable buttons for each syllable:

I believe it's just the Nissan Leaves, the Mitsubishi's like we have, and the original Kia's, (not sure how to pluralize the manufacturers) but I don't think those cars are showing any signs of disappearing, just no new ones so we don't really need any new CHAdeMOs built. Not that I can get to our cabin with our iMiev using the existing infrastructure. Not even using J1772s. Gonna need to buy a Tesla adapter for that car.

I did the retrofit on my 2018 M3 and just ordered the connector direct from US tesla site. I have another I got online from the Korea site (Harumio, I believe), but the Electrify America I tried it on did not seem to work. I'm hoping the US tesla site is more amenable. Some of the placement of the CCS chargers are not friendly to where Tesla charge ports are located.

I did the retrofit on my 2018 M3 and just ordered the connector direct from US tesla site. I have another I got online from the Korea site (Harumio, I believe), but the Electrify America I tried it on did not seem to work. I'm hoping the US tesla site is more amenable. Some of the placement of the CCS chargers are not friendly to where Tesla charge ports are located.

You did a 3rd party retro fit?

EA just sent me a notice about upcoming price increases:

Here’s what you, as a Pass+ Member, can expect to see starting March 6, 2023:
  • The monthly Pass+ membership fee will remain at $4 a month
  • The price per-kWh will increase from $0.31 to $0.36
  • The price per-minute will increase from $0.12 to $0.15 for up to 90 kW, or $0.24 to $0.29 for up to 350 kW
As a Pass+ Member, you can still benefit from a savings of about 25%* on charging.

Price per Kwh for a regular membership will rise to $.48/Kwh.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
EA just sent me a notice about upcoming price increases:

Here’s what you, as a Pass+ Member, can expect to see starting March 6, 2023:
  • The monthly Pass+ membership fee will remain at $4 a month
  • The price per-kWh will increase from $0.31 to $0.36
  • The price per-minute will increase from $0.12 to $0.15 for up to 90 kW, or $0.24 to $0.29 for up to 350 kW
As a Pass+ Member, you can still benefit from a savings of about 25%* on charging.

Price per Kwh for a regular membership will rise to $.48/Kwh.
I end up charging about 13% of the time at superchargers, and third party chargers like EA. Mostly superchargers. The rest is at home. So 87% at home.

For that reason, while I don’t want to pay crazy prices anymore than anyone else, these price increases aren’t a huge concern of mine.
I think folks that use third party or tesla chargers regularly, may not like these hikes though. I think the majority charge at home, and likely even more than I do.

I would buy the idea that there are more CCS than Superchargers in Newfoundland. There sure are a lotta places where it's true, although usually the CCS stations are in greater disrepair.

Interesting that CCS charging pricing is going up after Tesla charging seems to have gone down. Looking around California it seems there is now a standard tier system of 24/41/48¢/kWh for overnight/off-peak/peak times. The times seem to differ based on the usage of the site. Sometimes a site just a couple of miles from another will not have any peak times, perhaps this is Teslas way of changing charging habits to even out the lines. It's been chaotic since I got my TM3 almost 5 years ago keeping up with Supercharger pricing, which was 21¢/kWh at the station near me when it opened back then. Still cheaper to charge at the off tier than at home w/o TOU.

I end up charging about 13% of the time at superchargers, and third party chargers like EA. Mostly superchargers. The rest is at home. So 87% at home.

For that reason, while I don’t want to pay crazy prices anymore than anyone else, these price increases aren’t a huge concern of mine.
I think folks that use third party or tesla chargers regularly, may not like these hikes though. I think the majority charge at home, and likely even more than I do.

I don’t know about you but my electric bill has been drastically raising rates since the pandemic started. Same with the natural gas company and water company as well to think of it. My electric bill has tripled over the last three years with little or no warnings.

Last edited:
I don’t know about you but my electric bill has been drastically raising rates since the pandemic started. Same with the natural gas company and water company as well to think of it. My electric bill has tripled over the last three years with little or no warnings.
True here also. All utilities have gone up in my part of Canada as well.
I just don’t use superchargers or third party chargers enough to worry about that.
Prices in general going up sucks.

That being said, we usually (depending on the state and province), have cheaper electricity rates, and more expensive gas prices here in Canada.
One of the reasons, electric cars are such a no brainer in Canada. Even more so than the US.

Reactions: Suspect
I would buy the idea that there are more CCS than Superchargers in Newfoundland. There sure are a lotta places where it's true, although usually the CCS stations are in greater disrepair.

Interesting that CCS charging pricing is going up after Tesla charging seems to have gone down. Looking around California it seems there is now a standard tier system of 24/41/48¢/kWh for overnight/off-peak/peak times. The times seem to differ based on the usage of the site. Sometimes a site just a couple of miles from another will not have any peak times, perhaps this is Teslas way of changing charging habits to even out the lines. It's been chaotic since I got my TM3 almost 5 years ago keeping up with Supercharger pricing, which was 21¢/kWh at the station near me when it opened back then. Still cheaper to charge at the off tier than at home w/o TOU.
In BC the CCS charging network is expanding really rapidly; we left BC for Arizona in late November and there's been dozens of new CCS chargers installed since we left. Even Clinton BC, a village of ~600 people which I visit regularly, has gone from a single BC Hydro 50KW DCFC to two DCFCs with the new unit being 100KW!

BC also has really cheap electricity.

We mostly charge at home as well. However, there's a number of conveniently located CCS DCFC along the I10 in SE Arizona/SW New Mexico.

//electrek.co/2023/02/18/tesla-ccs-adapter/?fbclid=IwAR18VUokz4McRJXZEDxkQvIypjvGwdRv33FLhcUp5uBHK7SbutpY8x6zuXg

Our 2021 AWD LR is not able to use the connector. When, if ever, will Tesla enable our car?can't get answer from Tesla..

Why, if Tesla is selling CCS1 adaptors in the US do they not do upgrades on older model (May 2020) Tesla Model 3s? And... does anyone have any more specific info on when Tesla will do the retrofit than just 'early 2023'? Or where in north America that it is doing so now?