Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... Oh, cool you can even use CCS2 into your Tesla connector with AliExpress adapters:

Evseadapters is advertising one too.

Now I'm wondering how a non-Chinese market Tesla could charge in China using the DC version of GB/T... It appears Tesla does have a GB/T adapter for older European Model S/X - https://www.tesla.cn/sites/default/files/downloads/GBDC_Manual_1103873-00-C_English.pdf. It is an active adapter, and not just a simple pass-through.

(moderator note)

I merged some posts from a legacy thread on CCS charging into this new thread as I expect there to be ongoing discussion on it)

==================================

CCS adapter available on the Tesla site:

Retrofit options coming early next year.
When I try opening your link for adapter it goes to app but no adapter in the app.

Fortunately with free unlimited supercharging we have just no incentive for this downgrade to ccs. But if we didn't and if there was a shortage of superchargers in our area or on any route that we took, we might look into it. But without a supercharger shortage or coverage gaps, I'm not sure what the incentive is for anybody?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Had no idea supercharging was anywhere near 65 cents a kilowatt. That is very pricey, and the fact that you can get DC fast charging for half that makes the CCS connector worth it if you don't have free supercharging. Good call.

Last edited:
Reactions: helobubba
Had no idea supercharging was anywhere near 65 cents a kilowatt. That is very pricey, and the fact that you can get DC fast charging for half that makes the CCS connector worth it if you don't have free supercharging. Good call.
That 65 cents was at peak time. Some Supercharges that get busy have different rates based on the time of day, so it's not like that for all of them. And let's remember that often Tesla will offer free charging on some holiday weekends at certain Superchargers. So it all evens up. Granted if ICE vehicles are ever completely phased out, then we will see huge charging rates and no doubt home electric rates will also go up.

With EA having just raised their rates to 48¢/kWh that lines up with much of the Supercharging I have observed since the price increase this month. I think EVgo and ChargePoint are pretty much in line with that now too. This may just be the new normal.

• Informative
Reactions: Suspect
With EA having just raised their rates to 48¢/kWh that lines up with much of the Supercharging I have observed since the price increase this month. I think EVgo and ChargePoint are pretty much in line with that now too. This may just be the new normal.
Does this include the entire charging time or only under the higher charging rates? In other words above 100 kw or so?. That could get really expensive if you're putting in 70 kilowatt hours at 48 cents a pop. That's getting into Prius gas price territory!

Does this include the entire charging time or only under the higher charging rates? In other words above 100 kw or so?. That could get really expensive if you're putting in 70 kilowatt hours at 48 cents a pop. That's getting into Prius gas price territory!
That is a per kWh price, it doesn't matter if you charge at 1kW or 250kW. The cost will be the same, regardless of how much time it takes. 70kWh would cost $33.60. (Of course if you pay the $4/month fee you get the cheaper rate and it would only cost $25.20. So even in that single charge you would save $4.40.)

If you are in one of the "unlucky" states where they can't charge per kWh, you sort of get screwed:
1680042992057.png

The rate you get is based on the maximum your car says it can support, regardless of if you ever get that amount. So if you hook up cold soaked, and can only charge at 2kW in your Tesla you will still get charged the $0.37/min. That would take 35 hours and cost $777. ($609 on the $4/month plan.) Of course, nobody would ever get 2kW for an entire 70kWh charge. (And if they did they probably wouldn't stay.) It just shows how stupid the per minute pricing is.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: israndy and dfwatt
Yikes. I'm assuming when you talk about the subscription charge you're talking about the other DC fast Chargers and not Tesla superchargers? But if Tesla is charging roughly the same something like 45 cents a kilowatt hour that's not cheap either. I remember when the max charge rate was only $0.25 per kilowatt hour. Those look like the good old days! We have been completely insulated from all this by virtue of having Unlimited free supercharging baked into our sticker price. I remember how ambivalent I was about not giving that or selling that back to Tesla when I had the option. Now that looks like it was a good move not to sell it back. In another 5000 or maybe 8,000 miles of supercharging we will have recouped our entire surcharge. After that it's free miles.

Last edited:
Yikes. I'm assuming when you talk about the subscription charge you're talking about the other DC fast Chargers and not Tesla superchargers? But if Tesla is charging roughly the same something like 45 cents a kilowatt hour that's not cheap either. I remember when the max charge rate was only $0.25 per kilowatt hour. Those look like the good old days! We have been completely insulated from all this by virtue of having Unlimited free supercharging baked into our sticker price. I remember how ambivalent I was about not giving that or selling that back to Tesla when I had the option. Now that looks like it was a good move not to sell it back. In another 5000 or maybe 8,000 miles of supercharging we will have recouped our entire surcharge. After that it's free miles.
For a DC fast charging company, usually the “member” price is quite a bit less than the direct price which IS close to a Tesla SC.. EA charges ~ .44$ no membership, but only .36$ with a 4$ monthly membership, so it’s really only one modest charge that makes it cost effective. Prices will certainly change, but for now the other DC companies clearly want to stack up as many MAU as they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: dfwatt
After that it's free miles.
What did you pay surcharge wise? I remember that Tesla was offering people with Free SpC'ing $5000 to remove the feature. Is that what you mean? How are you doing the math? Since almost no SpCs have the same pricing I don't think you can calc it by miles driven.

Or did you mean the surcharge of buying a Performance Model 3 over a LR that didn't offer Free SpC'ing? I think a TM3P would be about $20K more than my LR RWD model that has pay-for charging. That would take a LONG time to pay off in free miles.

Reactions: dfwatt
What did you pay surcharge wise? I remember that Tesla was offering people with Free SpC'ing $5000 to remove the feature. Is that what you mean? How are you doing the math? Since almost no SpCs have the same pricing I don't think you can calc it by miles driven.

Or did you mean the surcharge of buying a Performance Model 3 over a LR that didn't offer Free SpC'ing? I think a TM3P would be about $20K more than my LR RWD model that has pay-for charging. That would take a LONG time to pay off in free miles.
My recollection is that you could only get it if you bought a performance model 3 and it was baked into a $5,000 price increase which you could get rebated from Tesla. I thought at the time that I would never hit that $5,000 value in supercharging but I'm almost there already. And we're planning a whole lot of trips in the coming 6 months so will easily hit the break-even point soon. We have it on two cars and a cross both vehicles I think we've had something like 500 supercharger visits already. Averaging about 45-50 KW hours or something like that. With the price increase it looks like it's for sure a good value. It's telling that Tesla isn't offering this on any vehicle even the Plaid S and X. I think Elon said a while back that that was going away and was never coming back.

Last edited:
Is there really a market for this in the US? I have a hard time imagining a Tesla owner actually wanting to use non-Tesla fast DC charging.

Highly unreliable, various different apps to install, they don't show up on the in-car navigation. Not to mention that the CCS connector only looks right in the hand of Andre the Giant.
I've been on the fence for this because I enjoy camping and having CCS might give me some more options. We just received a CCS charger at work for our upcoming EV products. Free fast charging is certainly a plus. Especially since I live close enough to work to stop by if I need to.