Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last I read they are going to be slowly rolling out retrofits to existing SC locations, once they finish negotiations with the Feds on what qualifies for the funding.

They will probably start at the least crowded ones first. I would be surprised if new construction didn’t start including them first.

I haven’t seen an actual date yet.
Am I overreacting by being extremely skeptical/nervous about this? Seems like a complete *sugar* show is about to unfold.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but for those of you who are buying it, What are your use cases that justify it? Personally, I live in the northeast where we have pretty good supercharger coverage so I don't see myself finding this useful but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network
Personally it’s cottage country , road trips , national parks . While SC are super convenient when driving in urban areas or major highways , I’ve noticed low traffic areas that pay for chargers with public funds tend to use CCS.

Personally it’s cottage country , road trips , national parks . While SC are super convenient when driving in urban areas or major highways , I’ve noticed low traffic areas that pay for chargers with public funds tend to use CCS.
Exactly. The closest SC to one parent is a bit over 80 miles away…and that isn’t in my direction - the opposite, and one about 110 miles away on the route I usually drive.

There is one…yes ONE…CCS within about 35 miles, and fortunately in my travel direction.

Am I overreacting by being extremely skeptical/nervous about this? Seems like a complete *sugar* show is about to unfold.
There are a lot of people concerned about this, but the discussion for it is in the supercharger subforum. Here is the most active thread on it:

Reactions: phishphan
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but for those of you who are buying it, What are your use cases that justify it? Personally, I live in the northeast where we have pretty good supercharger coverage so I don't see myself finding this useful but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network
I ordered one today for the piece of mind when I’m traveling and go through a dead zone for superchargers. Kind of like insurance, but cheaper. I also feel that any future fast charging stations that are funded though the IRA will be CCS, so there may be many more CCS charging locations in the next couple years.

Reactions: Allx and phishphan
Last I read they are going to be slowly rolling out retrofits to existing SC locations, once they finish negotiations with the Feds on what qualifies for the funding.
There is no negotiation with the Feds. The money goes to the states to spend on charging infrastructure. So there will be more than 50 different sets of requirements and application processes. I doubt that Tesla will get much, if any, of the money.

There are a lot of people concerned about this, but the discussion for it is in the supercharger subforum. Here is the most active thread on it:

Thanks!

Have they announced anything about the retrofit cost? I haven’t found anything, myself.
I'm curious if Tesla is going to install what should have been installed in the first place, without charging me for the part?

Edit: Nevermind. I just went to ask for service for the CCS ECU in the Tesla App and this was already there:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220922-183357.png
    Screenshot_20220922-183357.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 183
I'm curious if Tesla is going to install what should have been installed in the first place, without charging me for the part?

Edit: Nevermind. I just went to ask for service for the CCS ECU in the Tesla App and this was already there:

That may not mean anything about whether they will charge you or not. I have that in my own tesla app and my car is a 2018.

Reactions: silenteski
I will get the retrofit but so far, it’s not needed for me. Last year in May I drove from San Diego Ca to Key West Florida and back 6400 miles, no issues finding superchargers.

Did the trip again this past May but to Miami and up to Georgia and back to San Diego, again no issues.

Will check the service ticket tomorrow when I get home, currently off the coast of Mexico down by Cabo.

8A55A060-9639-4030-8579-D06E9D874FDB.jpeg

That may not mean anything about whether they will charge you or not. I have that in my own tesla app and my car is a 2018.
Well, I'm hoping I have more of a leg to stand on, as the CCS ECU was not installed when other cars of the same model year have it. I was just unlucky to buy mine in August of 2021.

I only want the CCS adapter specifically for the occasional road trip, as a backup. For my fellow military, you'll know what I mean when I say, "2 is 1 and 1 is none."

Reactions: Randy-12
I will get the retrofit but so far, it’s not needed for me. Last year in May I drive from San Diego Ca to Key West Florida and back 6400 miles, no issues finding superchargers.

This the trip again this past May but to Miami and up to Georgia and back to San Diego, again no issues.

Will check the service ticket tomorrow when I get home, currently off the coast of Mexico down by Cabo.

View attachment 855940
Military? I was stationed in San Diego 3 times and Key West once. Still the same single lane 35mph b.s. driving through the Keys? Hated that drive between Miami and Key West.

I only want the CCS adapter specifically for the occasional road trip, as a backup. For my fellow military, you'll know what I mean when I say, "2 is 1 and 1 is none."

I am not (and have never been) in the military, but I have heard some variation of that statement before. I like options, so I am getting one simply to have the option. My wifes model Y is CCS capable, and I will likely get mine retrofitted whenever tesla offers that. Yes I know it can be done (with instructions) by some stuff here, but I tend to like "OE" (original equipment) for most things when I can get it.

(btw, thank you very much for your service, in whatever capacity you have, did, or are serving).

There is no negotiation with the Feds. The money goes to the states to spend on charging infrastructure. So there will be more than 50 different sets of requirements and application processes. I doubt that Tesla will get much, if any, of the money.
There was considerable discussion on of and how much retrofit would qualify compared to new construction. There has been negotiation on the subject.

I have a Ranger service visit scheduled for Friday for the Rear Harness Replacement (camera video issue). Also having Cabin Filters replaced. (I can't bend that way any more...).
This morning I got a "Replace 12V battery" notice. So I put in the message that I needed that done on Friday, perhaps. Got a reply saying that the task had been adeed, but haven't gotten the usual "approve invoice". OK, lie back, think of England and see what happens...

So just now I got a message from Tesla under Service in the app... "CCS Adapter Retrofit".
"Appointments for the CCS Combo 1 Adapter retrofit are currently unavailable. Check back in early 2023 for availability".
O O O Kayyy...

This is for The Blue Bunny, a Feb 2020 M3SR+. I've never had the CCS adapter out of the trunk, nor tried a Level II charger.
Don't see a thread about this anywhere, anyone have a similar experience?

I do SO love Tesla. There is always something going on.
Folloe up:

Mobile ranger arrove in a well worn Model X. Poor thing, but it does make a nice service vehicle with the seats removed.
O ring in trunk lid actuator of TGSV, 3 minutes. Re the wear point on the support bracket, since the lid closes perfectly, it's time for Doc's Dremel Tool and some red Krylon. He advised that since the trunk seemed to be quite well aligned, that snoozing canine might best be left alone.

Failing 12V battery, filter change and duct clean, and rear wiring harness all done within an hour or so. Great guy, a tip of the old billowed Engineer's cap to Tesla service once again. I wish everyone would experience their service in as positive manner as I have.

I'm advised the CCS adapter has been shipped, so I will have something to play with in a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Tinkerin
Some interesting word choice on that page as well:

"The CCS Combo 1 Adapter is compatible with most newer Tesla vehicles, while some vehicles may require a retrofit to ensure functionality with third-party CCS stations."

Does "third-party CCS stations" imply there will eventually be first-party CCS stations?
Tesla already transitioned to CCS in Taiwan. Superchargers there have both Tesla and CCS plugs.