Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK..I have not read this who thread..so I may get slammed. My 2021 Model 3 says it is NOT CCS enabled. Is that a separate issue from a retrofit?
Same issue . For a while they rolled out, due to chip shortages, they rolled out cars with stripped down charging ECUs. If I’d have to guess you might get the retrofit cheaper or free seeing as you should have had CCS support.

Reactions: RSpanner
Be aware that if your car is not CCS enabled Tesla will not allow you to even order the CCS adapter from their store (it requires you to log in and then Tesla does a quick verification on your car). How did everyone else order their adapter??

Here are the two types of error I get:

View attachment 855460 View attachment 855461
For some reason I was able order an adapter for my 2018 M3P in spite of the fact that my car is not yet capable of supporting the CCS charging. I received notification that the CCS adapter has shipped, so I should have it shortly. I plan to get the retrofit in early 2023 (or whenever it's available), and didn't want to not get the adapter at that point due to be being sold out.

OK..I have not read this who thread..so I may get slammed. My 2021 Model 3 says it is NOT CCS enabled. Is that a separate issue from a retrofit?
From trying to decipher the chart and from perusing this thread, it appears to be a fairly unpredictable whether or not you have CCS capability. Just try to order one and see. If your car is enabled, the order will complete. If not, you are S O L until after January.

I'm guessing since he just got it, it would be either July or August, but yeah, I would also like to know. Between last year and this year, it appears to be a summer issue (July-Sep) cars that aren't getting the CCS compatible ECU?

If Tesla does "the right thing" those of you who got brand new cars model year 2021 / 2022 that request this upgrade, should get it for free, while those of us who got earlier cars where this was not an expectation should be paying "some fee" for retrofitting it.

If Tesla does "the right thing" those of you who got brand new cars model year 2021 / 2022 that request this upgrade, should get it for free, while those of us who got earlier cars where this was not an expectation should be paying "some fee" for retrofitting it.
I really hope this is the case, but knowing Elon, I'm not holding my breath. Fingers crossed though. 🤞

I really hope this is the case, but knowing Elon, I'm not holding my breath. Fingers crossed though. 🤞

I hope they do too, for the sake of those of you in that situation. I also believe like you do, that I wouldnt hold my breath if I was in that situation, but we can all hope they dont make it painful for those of you in that situation.

Reactions: LBM4
I don’t see this CSS adapter listed on the web site at all right now.

Still there for me:

Just go to the additional information screen.

76CA3A76-2912-403A-A5CA-9F5FC4592782.jpeg

What are your use cases that justify it? Personally, I live in the northeast where we have pretty good supercharger coverage so I don't see myself finding this useful but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network
I think for me it's more about options, and seeing the final cost :). Couple places I like to go are not high-traffic in the Tesla sense and have taken the Audi hybrid instead. So maybe this lets me take the 3 instead

I have a 2019 M#LR and it said I need a retrofit, available in 2023, but in Tesla terminology, that means at least 2025.
I hope you're wrong but wouldn't be the least surprised if you are right

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
yep, as of this morning.

i would imagine that doing the retrofit yourself with the current DIY method is still going to end up being significantly cheaper than having tesla retrofit it, at least for the older cars. i bought the ECU and bundle of wires together for $220 shipped, install was a breeze. i can't imagine the tesla retrofit is going to be anywhere near that cheap.
I've read from another poster in the Model S forum that the CCS Adapter plus the CCS Retrofit will be bundled for $499. So that's basically $250 for Tesla to retrofit plus $250 for the adapter. Hoping this is true.