Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I figured I would add this to the discussion in case it is worth anything but my wife ordered me the Model Y illuminated door sill plates for christmas but it looks like tesla sent the ccs combo 1 adapter retrofit kit instead. the store page for the ccs adapter says to check back in a few weeks if a retrofit kit is needed so they must have a bunch of these ready to ship. I have already had her create a return shipping label and told her to indicate that wrong item was sent. I have attached some pics of the part number from the box and the contents. I was not able to find this part number "(P) 1652001-00-A or (S)SB7S21352J08644. The description reads KIT, RETROFIT, GENIII, MS, CCS1 ADAPTER, NA. I am guessing this means this is made for a model S?

The contents seem to include the ccs 1 adapter, a wire harness, some wire ties and some sort of clamp for the ties. The part number of the plastic metail piece that has plugs for wires and bolts to mount to the chassis is part number P1495149-00A. there is also SQNT210842004ZM0. not sure if that is a part serial number or not. We will just have to reorder the sill plates I guess and based on prior experience I expect tesla to take about a month to refund the card even though I am one shipping day away from the return service center.

Sorry if these images are a little big.

View attachment 889658View attachment 889659View attachment 889660View attachment 889661
It’s interesting that Tesla’s official solution for the Model S includes a wiring harness. I wonder if the Model 3’s official solution will be anything like FalconFour’s bundle of wires method. If it’s electrically the same with the same gen 4 charge port controller upgrade and no board revisions that will be funny.

Reactions: israndy
It’s interesting that Tesla’s official solution for the Model S includes a wiring harness. I wonder if the Model 3’s official solution will be anything like FalconFour’s bundle of wires method. If it’s electrically the same with the same gen 4 charge port controller upgrade and no board revisions that will be funny.
Yes. I’m not sure where in here (this forum), but there was a guy back about Christmas that ordered door sills and the box that arrived was a retrofit kit. Before he made the return arrangements he cracked it open and took some picks. Seems like it basically is the same as the DIY thread. (Mind you, I am working from memory, and without rereading the DIY thread or finding the one with the pics.)

In app service still has “early 2023” teaser . Anyone aware if it’s dependent on location ?

I know I can DIY as some have but a little uneasy as it involves the HV battery …

91260A12-C250-4BB9-9032-63BA475CDE74.jpeg

In app service still has “early 2023” teaser . Anyone aware if it’s dependent on location ?

I know I can DIY as some have but a little uneasy as it involves the HV battery …

View attachment 897834
The retrofit does not involve the HV battery, just the charge port controller.

I'm guessing Tesla is just waiting to be able to produce and have enough stock of the charge port controller. At least one of the microchips on it was affected by the chip shortage.

Reactions: Allx
That message in the app to check back in 2023 for the adapter retrofit no longer appears for me. It doesnt appear in the app for an upgrade either. Has anyone been able to schedule an appointment to get the retrofit???
Nope. They told me no about a week ago. Someone in another forum said they were able to for about $200 but I haven’t heard yes from anyone else…

Reactions: jschimel
Have you tried talking to your local Tesla service center and asking them directly if they can do this or not ?
I asked around the holidays when in Canada and they had no news yet but you raise a good point that locally might be different .
Would be good to have as a contingency on an upcoming road trip that take me through more sparse supercharger territory

Reactions: KJD
I checked this in my tesla app yesterday morning (jan 19th 2023) to see if it was available for my model 3. It still says "appointments are currently unavailable, check back in early 2023".

I know there is a third party way to do this, and my car is recently out of the 4 year warranty (2018 Model 3P), but I am one who happens to like parts / solutions from the manufacturer when its possible. I dont need this at all, and I already have a CCS adapter for my wifes model Y, but at this point I plan on keeping my model 3 for a while so want to have it be as "up to date" as is fairly easily possible.

As soon as someone can schedule an appointment with tesla to get the official retrofit kit, we will probably see it posted about here somewhere on TMC.

I checked this in my tesla app yesterday morning (jan 19th 2023) to see if it was available for my model 3. It still says "appointments are currently unavailable, check back in early 2023".

I know there is a third party way to do this, and my car is recently out of the 4 year warranty (2018 Model 3P), but I am one who happens to like parts / solutions from the manufacturer when its possible. I dont need this at all, and I already have a CCS adapter for my wifes model Y, but at this point I plan on keeping my model 3 for a while so want to have it be as "up to date" as is fairly easily possible.

As soon as someone can schedule an appointment with tesla to get the official retrofit kit, we will probably see it posted about here somewhere on TMC.
What's the charge speed (kW) on the Y with the adapter? Can you get to 250kW? I have a Chademo adapter, and a 2018 model 3, so I'm curious if it's worth the upgrade (when available)

My wife has a 2021 [Delivery Dec 10, 2021] and she cannot buy a CCS adapter at all. So I'm assuming that you cannot USE a CCS adapter in her vehicle.

We can buy one for my 2023 M3P. So I will. We have family in Lakeside Pinetop AZ - and to get there we have to go through Globe - which has had a Supercharger 'planned' in a few months for 5 years now - She can get to her brothers house in her S without a problem - but charging up there is either very slow destination pay per view at a hotel or 110v at his house which would take days.

I can barely get there [its a 4000 elevation gain] with my M3P zipping along at 70-75 mph but can use a Plug America 350kw [obviously limited to 11.3kwh by the onboard vehicle charger] once there with the CCS adapter - there is also a CCS station in Globe - 30 min there gets me to Lakeside well charged.

My wife has a 2021 [Delivery Dec 10, 2021] and she cannot buy a CCS adapter at all. So I'm assuming that you cannot USE a CCS adapter in her vehicle.

We can buy one for my 2023 M3P. So I will. We have family in Lakeside Pinetop AZ - and to get there we have to go through Globe - which has had a Supercharger 'planned' in a few months for 5 years now - She can get to her brothers house in her S without a problem - but charging up there is either very slow destination pay per view at a hotel or 110v at his house which would take days.

I can barely get there [its a 4000 elevation gain] with my M3P zipping along at 70-75 mph but can use a Plug America 350kw [obviously limited to 11.3kwh by the onboard vehicle charger] once there with the CCS adapter - there is also a CCS station in Globe - 30 min there gets me to Lakeside well charged.

By 'Plug America' I assume you mean 'Electrify America' and a 350KW DCFC. If so, and assuming the DCFC is working properly you should get about the same speed as you'd get with a Tesla V3 SC, except that you might be initially limited in charging speed by the need to warm up the battery, as Tesla hasn't implemented battery preconditioning for DCFC in North America.

Most EA stations will be a little slower than superchargers, given high potential charging speeds. EA stations max out at about 500 amps because that's nominally where the CCS standard tops out at (and many will max out lower). That means that at low SoC, if your pack voltage is only .. say 300V, a CCS charger will max out at 150kW (and you'll usually need to use a 350kW charger to even see that).

I've seen over 200 at a supercharger, but never over 200 on CCS.

Edit: the protocol appears to be able to specify more than 500 amps, and we're starting to see chargers that will go over 500 amps, so ... I don't know that this limit will stick around. But 500 amps is still hard on a cable, so ...

Most EA stations will be a little slower than superchargers, given high potential charging speeds. EA stations max out at about 500 amps because that's nominally where the CCS standard tops out at (and many will max out lower). That means that at low SoC, if your pack voltage is only .. say 300V, a CCS charger will max out at 150kW (and you'll usually need to use a 350kW charger to even see that).

I've seen over 200 at a supercharger, but never over 200 on CCS.

Edit: the protocol appears to be able to specify more than 500 amps, and we're starting to see chargers that will go over 500 amps, so ... I don't know that this limit will stick around. But 500 amps is still hard on a cable, so ...
In my experience the biggest difference in speed between Tesla SCs and 150kw+ DCFCs is the lack of battery preconditioning when navigating to a DCFC.

In my experience the biggest difference in speed between Tesla SCs and 150kw+ DCFCs is the lack of battery preconditioning when navigating to a DCFC.
That's definitely an issue, but once I fix that, I still max out lower on CCS. (I've gotten 180-ish on a 350. I don't think I've ever gotten over 120 on a 150. And I've gotten ~220 on a V3.)

Yes, I have to use preconditioning to even get those numbers.