Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
(moderator note)

I merged some posts from a legacy thread on CCS charging into this new thread as I expect there to be ongoing discussion on it)

==================================

CCS adapter available on the Tesla site:

Retrofit options coming early next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a service appt tomorrow and just noticed this alert on my phone app.

F12CF370-F067-4443-9B01-1C28B1873DA0.jpeg

089D8986-82C4-43FE-BB8D-93DDA30CDA36.jpeg

Wasn’t aware this was happening for our cars.

CCS adapter available on the Tesla site:

Retrofit options coming early next year.

Some interesting word choice on that page as well:

"The CCS Combo 1 Adapter is compatible with most newer Tesla vehicles, while some vehicles may require a retrofit to ensure functionality with third-party CCS stations."

Does "third-party CCS stations" imply there will eventually be first-party CCS stations?

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but for those of you who are buying it, What are your use cases that justify it? Personally, I live in the northeast where we have pretty good supercharger coverage so I don't see myself finding this useful but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network

I've got a friend who does a fair bit of road tripping in the twin cities to various parts of rural/northern Wisconsin who can't wait to get one... SCs are kind of a wasteland in northern WI (and ditto some fair chunks of the dakotas)

A quick look at a CCS map shows at leas 3 charger locations in NW Wisconsin where there's no superchargers anywhere nearby for example.

I agree it's not gonna be hugely valuable on the coasts, but there's still some flyover country with SC gaps esp. any distance off major highways.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death but for those of you who are buying it, What are your use cases that justify it? Personally, I live in the northeast where we have pretty good supercharger coverage so I don't see myself finding this useful but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network

Map of Superchargers in Québec (region of Gaspésie and Lac St-Jean):
superchargers_gaspesie-lacstjean.png

Map of CCS stations in same place:
ccs_gaspesie-lactstjean.png

The situation is very different (sadly) over here... I wish Tesla had a better network but for now that's not the case :(

I already have my CCS adapter (via South Korea) but have not yet installed the Gen4 charge port ECU and associated "bunch of wires" (2018 LR RWD). I equate being able to charge at CCS stations with the same principle of being able to gas up my car at Chevron stations when I really prefer going to ARCO. It would be another available choice while I'm traveling.

I've gone up to Oregon a couple of times and there's a free charging station located at a supermarket in the town I stay in. Both CCS and CHAdeMO are offered. I've used the CHAdeMO several times (yes, I have the adapter) and the closest Supercharging station is about 30 miles away in Crescent City.

CHAdeMO & CCS:
1663791049423.png

Supercharger:
1663791060460.png

Last edited:
Reactions: totoro722
My buddy kindly shared with me today:

Tesla CCS1 Combo Adapter Available in the U.S.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike1080i
Of course the next question for those of us who have done the "bundle of wires" mod will be whether to upgrade it to the official retrofit or not. I guess this will be the topic of a future thread when the retrofit options are actually available.
Looks like if you've retrofitted the bundle of wires and newer charge port, you're good to go. See @Metaljug's post below about his 2019 Model 3.

🇨🇦 options. For me it's redundancy and the previous. Only had two outages in my closing in on 400k Tesla miles. One town was out. Other I was first to the 🎉.

Plus adapter it's so small compared to what we have now. For the future I see stalls all near or next to each other. So options, rather than sitting.

... but I'm curious to hear where in NA there's a good CCS network without a good SC network
Wifey and I do a twice a year AZ~Cape Cod~AZ (+ or - 3,000 miles each way). We have used the EA system quite a few times since first getting our adapter (our June trip was the first time we used it, our end of August trip the second). I only use EA stations which are quite close to SC stations. Generally much less expensive and I like accessing Walmart!! (Really. Clean bathrooms and you can buy ANYTHING you might desire there.)

Anyway, it's fun to scandalize the DCFC users when I pull up in our model Y!

Rich

Wife demonstrating her hard-earned skill at charging up our Tesla!
wNnJr54.jpg

Looks like if you've retrofitted the bundle of wires and newer charge port, you're good to go. See @Metaljug's post below about his 2019 Model 3...

Yeah - it is interesting that when I went to the Tesla shop, Tesla already knew my 2018 was CCS compatible (i.e., via the bundle of wires and Gen 4 charge port ECU). So they aren't just going by VIN. They can tell who has the CCS driver for the Gen 4 CP ECU installed or not.

For once in my life, I also got "in before the lock" - ordering an official adapter from harumio. I've successfully CCS tested my car with EA, EVgo, and Chargepoint. L1/L2, Supercharging, and the CHAdeMO adapter all still work. So I'm good.

But the bundle of wires does fake some signals for temp sensing and such. So it remains to be seen if Tesla follows a similar approach with their retrofit, or if they design something with more capabilities.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy and Dave EV
Really? US tesla stores are selling CCS adapter now?

yep, as of this morning.

i would imagine that doing the retrofit yourself with the current DIY method is still going to end up being significantly cheaper than having tesla retrofit it, at least for the older cars. i bought the ECU and bundle of wires together for $220 shipped, install was a breeze. i can't imagine the tesla retrofit is going to be anywhere near that cheap.

I have a Ranger service visit scheduled for Friday for the Rear Harness Replacement (camera video issue). Also having Cabin Filters replaced. (I can't bend that way any more...).
This morning I got a "Replace 12V battery" notice. So I put in the message that I needed that done on Friday, perhaps. Got a reply saying that the task had been adeed, but haven't gotten the usual "approve invoice". OK, lie back, think of England and see what happens...

So just now I got a message from Tesla under Service in the app... "CCS Adapter Retrofit".
"Appointments for the CCS Combo 1 Adapter retrofit are currently unavailable. Check back in early 2023 for availability".
O O O Kayyy...

This is for The Blue Bunny, a Feb 2020 M3SR+. I've never had the CCS adapter out of the trunk, nor tried a Level II charger.
Don't see a thread about this anywhere, anyone have a similar experience?

I do SO love Tesla. There is always something going on.

Reactions: SageBrush
My buddy kindly shared with me today:

Tesla CCS1 Combo Adapter Available in the U.S.

I have a 2019 M#LR and it said I need a retrofit, available in 2023, but in Tesla terminology, that means at least 2025.