Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Driver's Side Blind Spot Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roadster

JdeMO Powered
Dec 10, 2016
SoCal
If you own a Roadster, you're well aware of the struggle with the driver's side blind spot. To cope with this, you can either (a) do what I've been doing for decades and adjust your mirrors using the tried & true SAE method described here or (b) explore one of the aftermarket options available for our cars.

For the latter, some have removed the stock mirror assemblies all together and installed complete replacements like these from Transforged (no longer in business) while others have gone the stick-on route with ExtendView mirrors discussed here. The ExtendView glass is very unique and quite effective but, like some of you, I just couldn't live with the noticeable gap or the fact that they're held in place with tape o_O so I decided to try something different...

Why not install an OE Lotus Elise RHD left side convex mirror as my LHD driver's side mirror?

Lotus Garage had the part listed (P/N A121B0017F) so I placed the order and patiently waited for Lotus UK to deliver. It took about a month due to COVID but it finally arrived and I got around to installing it. Not only was this a simple swap but it uses an OE part which, IMHO, is the way to go as the factory fitment is perfect :cool:

I was curious if this would make a difference and I'm pleased to report it has. It didn't take long at all to get used to the widened field of view as it's what we're already accustomed to on the passenger (right) side of our US-spec cars. Here's a GIF animation that clearly illustrates the differences between the two:

IMG_0117.gif

And now... the best part: the price!

A121B0017F - 04a Glass, convex, script, federal, LHD, RH 1 - $21.13 USD

Mind you, shipping is a ridiculous $25 USD so make sure you have other parts you need to order or find a few others in your area and do a group buy to make it worthwhile. BTW, I see no reason UK, HK, AU or NZ folks couldn't do a similar mod with a LHD right side convex mirror as I'm sure that part is in stock at Lotus US should you decide to try this.

Finally, I have no idea how stringent or frequent everyone's requisite vehicle inspections are (we don't have them in California) but in the event you're due for one and there's any concern this would pose a problem, you can swap it back out quite easily.

Cool conversion. Looks like you went for options 04a on the exterior mirror page. There is an option just above for two convex mirrors without the script for $50.xxThat would be another nice option.
Did you have any problem separating the mirror base from the housing, i.e. tabs breaking, etc.? Any hints there?
Thanks!

So I purchased both the one with the text and the one without so I have a spare. I actually preferred the one with the text as it's a subtle reminder that it's not a stock mirror if friends/family drive it on occasion. Then again, if there are issues with inspections, probably going for the one without the script would draw less attention.

As for installation, no issues as long as you use a plastic trim removal tool. Take your time and note the locations of the tabs. The plastic edge of the mirror insert is very thin where the tabs are located so you want to pay particular attention not to apply leverage at those points.