TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

OEM front towing hook is the wrong size!

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by nsrg, Dec 31, 2019.

Tags:
?

Does your towing hook fit?

1. Yes, I tested it

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, why does Elon hate me so much?

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. nsrg

nsrg New Member

I was stuck in the snow today, my fault completely, but I was very disappointed to find that the OEM front towing hook (located under the frunk liner) doesn't fit the female screw-in receptacle! Bizarre, but I worked on it for 10 minutes, multiple adults attempted, and it was lined up appropriately (not cross-threaded). I could see just fine. The male screw-in portion of the hook is very obviously too large for the female receiving end on the car. As a result, my car remains stranded.

I'll contact tesla about this, but I suggest others test theirs now before finding out it doesn't work later! I'm obviously very disappointed.

2. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Did you try turning it counter clockwise?

3. nsrg

nsrg New Member

oh ***. Is this really the way to do it? I'm not near the car for a long time, is this the answer? I probably need to forfeit my car and look at tricycles.
    This thread may contribute as well Towing Screw-Eye, Can't get it to screw in

Take home: likely counter-clockwise, and likely first couple attempts will require dramatic force.
    Any idea why these are counter clockwise? I did not have any internet/phone service to learn about this where I was stranded.