Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Goodyear F1 Tire Foam Detachment

DriveEV

Jan 20, 2020
New York
Hey all,

More a PSA than anything else, but a long story short, felt some wild bucking/shaking over 50mph in the front end in my Y a few days ago. Took it into SC and they discovered the foam in the front right tire was completely detached from the tire. Perhaps the adhesive failed.. Anyway, just something to think about if you have front end shaking at speed where there is no obvious puncture, tire pressure issue, wheel balance or weight issue.

EDIT: Only had 700 miles on these tires.

9uUSacG.jpeg

Balthezor

Jun 22, 2020
NJ
Same thing happened to me. I thought it was a loose lug nut. Scared the *sugar* out of me. Went to SC and it was this. They rip it off because they didnt have a spare but replaced it 2 days later. I couldnt tell a difference between having foam or not.

DriveEV

Jan 20, 2020
New York
Same thing happened to me. I thought it was a loose lug nut. Scared the *sugar* out of me. Went to SC and it was this. They rip it off because they didnt have a spare but replaced it 2 days later. I couldnt tell a difference between having foam or not.

Wild! Thought a lug nut was loose as well. Felt like the wheel was going to come off.

Balthezor

Jun 22, 2020
NJ
Wild! Thought a lug nut was loose as well. Felt like the wheel was going to come off.

I was so scared, I went to a tire place near my work. I work 50 miles away from home/SC. So no way in hell I was going to drive back with that risk.

Honestly don't think the foam does anything. It's still loud.

patnshan

Oct 7, 2020
Milwaukee, WI USA
Wow, that's crazy. I had this happen on my MDX once. It was because of a piece of ice frozen in the rim causing the balance to be off. Just posting in case this happens to someone, they may want to check for snow and ice packed onto the wheel.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC