Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Mustang wheel on M3P-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bent a stock Aero wheel on the interstate and had it towed home. I have an extra set of 18" wheels from a 2016 Mustang, and they are the same bolt circle and offset. I'm trying to decide whether to buy one more Aero wheel or use the Mustang wheels instead. My commute is short, I'm not concerned with the small loss in efficiency. BTW, the donut spare from the Mustang fits fine, I will take it with me on future road trips.

For tires I'm considering at Conti Extreme Contact DWS-06 Plus, or Michelin Pilot Sport AS-4.

Attachments

• M3_MustangWheel.jpg
    M3_MustangWheel.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 979
I bent a stock Aero wheel on the interstate and had it towed home. I have an extra set of 18" wheels from a 2016 Mustang, and they are the same bolt circle and offset. I'm trying to decide whether to buy one more Aero wheel or use the Mustang wheels instead. My commute is short, I'm not concerned with the small loss in efficiency. BTW, the donut spare from the Mustang fits fine, I will take it with me on future road trips.

For tires I'm considering at Conti Extreme Contact DWS-06 Plus, or Michelin Pilot Sport AS-4.
I'd say the only thing you should get in order to use the Mustang wheels in the Tesla is hub centering rings. The Mustang wheels have a bigger hub diameter and this could cause shaking if not using the centering rings. Also, make sure the tires are rated for the Tesla weight, because most likely they are not (especially the spare).

Reactions: sabat
I personally wouldn’t bother with hub-centric rings. The clamping force once torqued is in the tens of thousands of pounds, and it really isn’t difficult to machine the lug holes concentric with the hub. I am approaching 150k total miles with lug-centric wheels—miles and miles of which were off-road or, more recently, racing on 200tw tires.

Sounds like you found a perfectly functional use for your mustang wheels…