Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM MXM4 Tire Bubbled, What should I do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am new to the world of cars, and this is only the second time I see those bubbled tires. To be cleared, the tire bubbled because I ran over those pothole on the highway ramp, the speed is pretty high (50mph maybe), the two passenger side tired bubbled as I check instantly after the pothole. So, from what I been taught, a bubbled can't be used anymore and have to be replaced immediately right?
The bubbled tire are OEM Tire for 2014 Ms with 19' wheel, the Michelin MXM4 I believe, and I had been have those issue with my previous car Acura with same tire but 18' wheel. I will assume MXM4 is kind of a sucks tire that are easy to bubbled???And these tires provide me a bad snow traction and noisy. I lived in New Jersey, next Manhattan, so many pothole that are currently cover by the snow melt which make them unable to see.
Those set of tires are replaced from Tesla May 2017, which have only about 7000mi on it, I wonder will Tesla provide any protection plan on it? And, are there any recommend tires that can handle those pothole area and provide me a better snow Traction control? And I noticed, MXM4 is GT All season tires, some of tires I had been discovered are UHP All Season, what difference between them?
I plan to replace all Four of them, because MXM4 really disappointed me
Are bfgoodrich g-force comp-2 a/s a good tire? Because from Tire rack it seems have a good customer report Sno traction.
Or should I keep with those MXM4 Tires?
And I want to go with Tire rack road hazard protection plan, will install those non OEM tires ruined the vehicle original warranty?
Thank you for Any Response!

Reactions: jbcarioca
Any tire made by Michelin or Goodyear is OEM (anything made by the same Manufacturer who provided Original Equipment) for the Model S because Tesla shipped tires from those manufacturers on your year and model of automobile from the factory.

The Michelin Primacy MXM4 is an OE (Original Equipment) upgrade option. I am rather pleased with mine and am buying another set soon. Quiet everywhere but I-465 around Indianapolis where the rain grooves are cut exactly right to make the tires howl like an air raid siren. 42,000 miles, will be replaced soon.

I suspect you are new to 45 series tires. Based on your description you should not be driving on such tires on the poor roads of New Jersey. It doesn’t matter what brand of 245/45-19 tire, hit a pothole or mancover and the tire will be destroyed. You need a pickup truck or SUV with 60, 65, or higher series tires. Cars with such sizes are getting hard to find. Perhaps a Subaru Outback? I have one. Wears 225/60-18.

Be thankful you do not have the 35 series tires found on the optional 21” wheels.

Reactions: KJD
On the cars and bikes I've owned I've gone through Yokohama, Pirelli, BF Goodrich, Dunlop, Continental, Hankook, Goodyear and Michelin. The Michelin MXM4 are by far the best tires I've had. You might have gotten bad batch, which happens. But as for ride comfort, noise, MPG or range, sheer performance, the MXM4 Is the way to go. I went to Michelin on the BMW and Jaguars and couldn't be happier.

Years ago I got new Continentals on my, then, Jaguar X-Type and had a crazy pull to the right. Jaguar did an alignment and tire balance and said everything was ok. The steering wheel was still off and still pulled right. Then they tried to tell me it's the crown of the road, idiots. Found out I had 1 tire with an odd batch number on the right rear. I talked to Tire Rack, they sent out a new tire with the matched batch number and it fixed everything. I've hit most things on the road, not a curb, and never had a problem with the MXM4 225/45-17 on the BMW. The Jaguar XKR gets the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255/35ZR20 on front and 285/30ZR20 on rear.

Having gotten 53,000 miles from the OEM Michelins, and with it being highly unlikely that I'll get half that with the OEM Goodyear Eagle Touring TE tires (the ones with the foam, not to be confused with the original OEM Goodyear Eagle RS-A2s, aside from the fact that neither have a tread life warranty), the only OEMs I will consider as a next set for the current car will be the Michelins, with a close second being the RS-A2s.

It's a judgement call with regard to how long you're going to keep the car, and how you value tread depth relative to how much crap there is on the roads you travel most.

A set of RS-A2s can be had out the door for under $500. For which you get zero tread life warranty and an expectation of maybe 30,000 miles +/- 5,000. The Michelins can be had out the door for under $1000 with a 45,000 mile TLW and the very real expectation of 60,000 miles.

So then there are other issues. The Michelins get noisy toward the end of their life. The GETs at less than 4/32" are still pretty quiet.

If you have a location that won't screw up the install of new tires for a Tesla, then having twice the installs per mile (Goodyear RS-A2s versus Michelins) may be a less onerous proposition.

Or maybe you don't plan to have the car more than another 2 years and don't drive much. Or conversely, maybe you do plan to keep the car for 3 years hence and do drive more than average.

Choices, choices.

Our staggered 21" friends just get a set, don't worry about rotations, and rinse and repeat every 12,000 miles. So simple by comparison.

Edit: and for what the OP should do, imo, contact Michelin and see what they'll do.

Slow down and watch the pot holes. It’s not the tire. Frankly it’s your driving style. Flying on a snow covered ramp at 50 is not so smart - Lucky you only ruined 2 tyres. Check your wheels they may be bent too. Get a SUV with big tyres. Tesla is a fancy ride for someone who is new to the world of cars. Sorry don’t mean to be rude - most Tesla owners have no problems with the Michelin tires.

Reactions: Seawind300
Slow down and watch the pot holes. It’s not the tire. Frankly it’s your driving style. Flying on a snow covered ramp at 50 is not so smart - Lucky you only ruined 2 tyres. Check your wheels they may be bent too. Get a SUV with big tyres. Tesla is a fancy ride for someone who is new to the world of cars. Sorry don’t mean to be rude - most Tesla owners have no problems with the Michelin tires.
These day are snow days, and all road are covered by the white snow melt, or snow, everything look the same under night vision. And it was right on the start of the ramp and I don't even need to slow down the car at that point. And, I had been driving for almost 2 years for almost 25k mi, which I am new to car itself but not how to drive cars. Thank you for your advise.

Asking Tesla could help, they might be agreeable. Anyway they cannot say yes if you do not ask.

Otherwise road hazards do affect all tires. I have had my share. Near where you live I once lived and had several sad happenings like that. IMHO, the answer now is to buy your tires from someone who offers road hazard warranty. Goodyear Stores, among others, do that. You've a number of local stores that have OEM replacement tires fro your car and offer lifetime balance plus road hazard.

Years ago I was driving on the Pulaski Skyway with my brand new very expensive Italian car, straight from accepting delivery in Manhattan and had a road hazard incident that destroyed two very expensive tires. Since then I have bought road hazard warranties. They're really cheap for the benefit.

Last edited by a moderator: