TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

OEM of drive shaft?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by HH007, May 27, 2015.

1. HH007

HH007 Member

Hey guys,

as most of you know, Tesla uses components of different manufacturer as Mercedes or Land Rover .

Does somebody know who produces the drive shaft of the Model S? I can't believe that such a common part is really just made for the Tesla. I'm especially interested in that part that is connected to the gear box.

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I'm not sure but that's got to be one heck of a strong part to handle the amount of torque in the P85D! I think about the drive shaft often when doing launches. 0-60 with all that weight must be a tremendous strain. I wonder if a future model may take advantage of carbon fiber driveshaft technology like the BMW M4? Good way to save weight.

I'm surprised we haven't seen broken driveshafts....

3. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

i suspect it's teslas own development, seeing how many problems they had with the roadstar's driveshaft.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I am not aware of problems with Roadster driveshafts. There were definitely problems with the original Roadster 2-speed transmission, which was abandoned and all early production Roadsters were retrofitted with single speed transmissions.

5. Thumper

Thumper Member

The trick with carbon half shafts and drive shafts is the joint to the splines which must be steel.