Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Premium sound subwoofer deadening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
I recently pulled out my subwoofer to provide access for a paintless dent repair technician to fix a dent I got a while back but never got to. I know a lot of people prefer more bass than the premium sub delivers but for me it is pretty good sounding and not in desparate need of mo-bass. What I did notice about the factory enclosure was just how light it is. Since I have it out, I decided to slap some Noico 80 mil sound deadening material. I don't expect miracles here but hopefully there is a subtle improvement of deadening such a flimsy enclosure. Will report back after re-installation.

Following - I added an OEM sub to my sr+ and my trunk rattles like it’s 1998 and my M3 did it all for the Nookie 😜

Did you roll the noico on? Ive had the Amazon Basics sound dampening film in my cart for months with a roller, just no time to do it. The film is very very highly rated and similar to noico, some say better.

Following - I added an OEM sub to my sr+ and my trunk rattles like it’s 1998 and my M3 did it all for the Nookie 😜

Did you roll the noico on? Ive had the Amazon Basics sound dampening film in my cart for months with a roller, just no time to do it. The film is very very highly rated and similar to noico, some say better.
Yes, definitely needs to be rolled on. As you've probably seen, the Noico has a diamond check texture which serves as a visual indicator for rolling - roll until you make the diamonds flat. I hear you about the time - this was on my to do list way longer than it should have been. After the dent is fixed, I'll probably add some to the interior body panel near the sub area before reinstalling it.

Reactions: PauliePucks
Probably won’t make much of a difference. I deadened my rear end and the results with the premium audio are spectacular. Hits so clean with the sub turned up.
Wait…so do you recommend doing it or not? Lol I have absolutely nothing back there (towel currently) but even the foam block that comes with the factory sub is not there since my car was not originally equipped with a sub.

So besides adding Noico to the sub enclosure I also added a few pieces to the body panels near the sub and added some on each spline of the subwoofer basket itself. Lastly since I had the driver taken out, I added Polyfill to the inside of the enclosure. The polyfill was placed in lightly but fills most of the enclosure except some space around the basket.

It was getting late so not a lot of testing but the initial impression is the bass being a bit deeper and better controlled. I can't tell you if it was the Noico or the Polyfill but I suspect both made incremental improvements. It's not an earth-shattering change but it does seem like a subtle improvement. More listening tests needed.

Reactions: PauliePucks