Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Replacement Tire Alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you seeing any difference in efficiency with the PS4?

Less efficient by about 25-30 Wh/mi. I'm going to go back to something more efficient when these are done. As highly reviewed as they are, I don't think I drive in a way that takes full advantage of them and don't notice any difference in the ride or handling compared to the MXM4s.

@Boourns can you post some pictures of the wheels with tires installed? I’m interested to see how the sidewalk meets with the rim on these

Here you go. There does seem to be a little more space between the wheel and tire than on the OEM, but they are definitely 235/45.
IMG_20190807_130019.jpg IMG_20190807_131717.jpg IMG_20190807_131724.jpg

Reactions: dennisvab
If you want a sporty 3-season tire, I love the Pirelli P Zero Nero GTs on my LR RWD 18". Wore out the stock rears at about 15k. The wear was bad in the center of the tire but not so much on the sides indicating over inflation. The sticker on door jamb instructs 45psi which is where I kept the stock tires. I run the Pirellis at 38 rear & 42 front. They loose around 10% range (unscientifically). They're a little quieter than stock to my ear but not much. But the grip is fantastic!
if the motor is in the back with more weight, I would suggest putting 42 in rears and 38 in fronts

I replaced my tires at 16k. They were almost bald. I went with a cheap brand since it looks like I'll be burning through them yearly. Thunderer is the manufacturer and they appear to work fine. I did not notice any drop in Wh/mi or increased road noise.

I replaced my stock 18” MXM4 with Continental DWS06. I am very happy. I saved $500 over OEM tires (total cost $880 all in including free rotation from Anerica’s Tire, they are as quiet as the stock tires, and efficiency is similar. They look better too.

My original tires lasted 32k miles.

Reactions: dennisvab
@Boourns thanks! What’s your overall impression of them so far?
So far so good. The Discount Tire guy said the BFGs might be louder because the don't have sound deadening foam. But so far the only thing I've noticed is the thud going over a drop off or pot hole is a little louder. Normal road noise is not any louder that I can tell.

I have noticed I'm maybe 15-20 Wh/m higher than my lifetime average. However it's been hotter'n Beelzebub's nutsack lately so that may be part of it also. I'll have to dig into my Tesla Fi data to tell for sure.

I ended up replacing our tires at 42K for safety. They would have made it to 45k, but no sense in pushing our luck.
I ordered them direct from Tesla using the phone app and had them installed locally.
The mobile tech delivered them and They weren’t much more expensive than everyone else,

Interestingly those now show $170 at Walmart...

Discount tire was okay fitting a V speed rated tire to your car?

Yeah I saw a couple days ago they are back at $170. I honestly think it may have been a clerical error, but I'm not complaining.

I don't see why they wouldn't. V rating is 149mph, which I'm pretty sure is below the top speed of my car (LR RWD).

I have an ‘18 LR M3 with 18” Aeros and the rear tires are shot at 15k miles.

I’m looking into alternatives to the OEM tires and was curious if anyone has had better success with alternatives? Better range/longevity/etc?

Just bought Goodyear exhilarate tires that have 45k warranty. Goodyear has a $200 prepaid card rebate if you sign up for Goodyear card (and option for no interest if paid off after 6 months). $100 off with no card sign up. Haven’t driven much yet so can’t comment on positives or negatives. Tire rack review shows good wet performance though. Goodyear maxlife have longer warranty and cheaper though. My options are limited or more expensive than tire rack since tire rack charges over $100 for shipping where I live whereas Goodyear shipped for free.