Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Roof Rack weight static weight rating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten a clear answer on what the static weight load is for the model Y roof rack? Dynamic weight is 165lbs.Yakima states that the maximum static weight is 600lbs for a 165lbs dynamic weight rack. The model 3 roof rack has a lower dynamic weight of 150lbs and it’s static weight is 495lbs.

I am planning on putting up my two kayaks up, each weighs around 50lbs. Want to know if it’s safe before I buy the kayak mounts for it (7lbs each) for a total of 115lbs of weight.

Has anyone gotten a clear answer on what the static weight load is for the model Y roof rack?
Dynamic weight is 165lbs.Yakima states that the maximum static weight is 600lbs for a 165lbs dynamic weight rack.
The model 3 roof rack has a lower dynamic weight of 150lbs and it’s static weight is 495lbs.

I am planning on putting up my two kayaks up, each weighs around 50lbs.
Want to know if it’s safe before I buy the kayak mounts for it (7lbs each) for a total of 115lbs of weight.
Beside weight, at what speed do you plan to drive?

Doing only short local drives versus Freeway speed drives might be quite different.

I’ve had four bicycles (and four accompanying racks) on my roof at one time without issue. Likely in the neighborhood of 125# all-in (quite possibly more given bike locks/accessories that were on the bikes). Different than kayaks for sure but at least its a data point. Good luck.

What is the difference between a dynamic weight and a static weight??

Dynamic: weight allowed when car is moving.
Static: weight allowed when car is stationary.

Example: a roof top tent would be allowed to be transported (dynamic) but could only be occupied when the car is parked (static) due to increased load (Safety concerns notwithstanding).

Hope this helps.

As an update I called the local Tesla service centre and they claimed it can hold up to 600lbs. Still have no official answer but the logic by the rep is that the OEM roof rack is actually made by Yakima. Yakima rates their 165lbs dynamic weight racks to hold up to 600lbs and logic follows that it will be rated equally. Further, the Model 3 OEM roof rack is rated for a dynamic weight of 145lbs and a static weight of 495lbs which also matches the other Yakima racks that are rated for the same dynamic weight.

I am comfortable with the kayak going up there as it should have a good 45+lbs of dynamic weight available once everything is up there. 165lbs - (51.4lbs per kayak * 2)-(7lbs mount *2).

This link also claims that they've been told it to be 500lbs of static weight which matches what the model 3 supports

Are you guys being too neurotic!?! The weight range is no where near precise and is certainly very conservative. If it is rated to 145 lbs, that means it is 100% safe at 145 lbs and 2 kayaks is nothing. The 145 lbs rating probably includes keeping the kayaks on if you crash. I've put 200 lbs on the rack, drove 120 miles, no problem.
nAx9Bvj1BkZAZBSrZIGfcoK0sieMzYzBSAt6BaehyFftOkK7Q-LqYQ8a-tncqgkk58G48U39LAaimmVfRAjIcs7pHTYOQjEPzuDFLsOLmhsL3DhuycZq7Fun2y8o4qd4Ng36KNWbWmwzmIaV4ifNy7HHQyld71bs3stw8gvqMhJgulPtlM0Wjkwy9Vr_8ijY8lqI_6Sv6CxpbIhbLtN_5s50I9QoJmitVSlqCZu3__iotPRwM5P4ljOGzzQ9KIpXIlymkBL50CwRDZmjNl7Cs0rSgD04NBVvF6mP4ex7MmghR9VIUZl95FbJUq_CL8ktccSPfTktoyR5RaNNOvqmAGhZvIBRmSEczfLTt0IYJwSpszrw-Kvdq7uD-IQ2lihsmNRT4lQfRBjaaBaWktkjMEkb5-14MlRCGqBexwb45gilcksdcoWpjdBUQ5rkInwsNIXPAalMX8Eh-1b60D7vnyfP1rYbKucl7f8_ydy39JetKxVH1GEgw_ohzFwlGr5BUyOczGu0Y_8gwxxweZmgTP20WoA_SvW8uciNJwq-cV3aeNPAVJ5YL6lzmE8ZZ7oIcTdPlU8Q3XRn4Kj_S16GGJhThbtldcrWHioGqlT2UkGeerhzZX0BQE7wh0pe6_i75xCKgdaMI9HbphEAnC0ljTlB8POD9S1E3TFbdNZecHW4lwTp6FPTfdFBTjFH8PQ=w1737-h903-no

1ul-d9hLZ2sFitmM_xhhHhQ_qnyXPlk8IICLUnfub7KcLIos0U4iyxFcQWsUI6LXQQGRf2jE1tQFmYaXK0HPzcoAn0SNjZhORZEfctpTRiaGUEgMsRGfEjs-rE3pGS4SRye6JtkSYbtS5eTapy5-EbF7m5bu3sA2tnfkGhjsJuPvPR9xhefYSEsgdA0Nb8WSk9WitmSzbmXkzQKDvfNtwWCHr67dN3Hg2HB1jXjf6gI3suCQWFM2Fqp8uoumKYeWizXwJflGT1c80lHzATghpIthKGXZx3V8Q6M0J_DqsZp-Kf2idYmZXWIB4Y0Dkvzl_mONcgmqrA4h6b36-2w7Oe_89FurCsuyO9JVq9TbM5mFCcypT2e1wP7wlICIB9AUqjuleylp_6x8ppZ7Z6S6w7-P6xjmQLuQG0yZY3ISoXH56ZkgNrTOezNvxCA6fHzYIDG-DQ57yQxQW5cz4Xw6j-fPurd0mJWYXl6Cpyb62rtC6IWkvYaRXUWF-fys0krUBLZvlzIy3j5vR0x3o7QQUfTa3NuCe3By8q-033eWMz48CZTfU2PTtOqXYvT3xLqWnC1rmg3sCOjbKtLH21n-XZ12LS9LZC_FOrM_kglcbP8Hs19MYiONSEBl4COIcKLYk7WfKx44soS-ShtTSTHVoKP5ejs5yKBv3VZcv_w3Ks8obLnSowcfn0UamWqVUfA=w1204-h903-no

Reactions: gt2690b
Respectfully, short local speed vs. freeway speed has no bearing on the rated static weight load.
It has practical benefits, but the rating is the rating.

Dynamic: weight allowed when car is moving.
Static: weight allowed when car is stationary.
Example: a roof top tent would be allowed to be transported (dynamic) but could only be occupied
when the car is parked (static) due to increased load (Safety concerns notwithstanding).
Hope this helps.
This is absolutely the most critical point.

Imagine passing over a bump, the full rack is kept in place at each corner with only a bracket about one inch width.

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to the mass (m) of the object and to the square of its speed (v).

KE = 0.5 • m • v^2
FWIW, we're skipping the roof rack and working on a kayak trailer...
I think this would be safer...

There are Youtube videos of bicycles racks jumping above a roof at high speed.

I would strongly recommend adding some attachments to the front and the back of a car
when carrying large objects using a roof carrier.

Model 3 blue - roof and 1 canoe 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh absolutely. I already had all the hardware to pin the front and back down on the Kayak.

@cstork, I am absolutely being neurotic with my 130k (combined between the kayak costs) purchase. LOL. Not sorry. Its all insured so hey if something happens it happens but prefer to not go through the hassle.

Neither static nor dynamic weight address the greatest safety issue carrying surfboards or kayaks: upward wind force. While the issue fades out if bow and stern are tied down, that's completely irrelevant to surfboards. So please Dr. Tesla, give us your data on upward wind force on from surfboards, kayaks, and boxes at highway speed! And if Tesla continues to promote their MY roof rack as good for kayaks, tell us how good: 300 lbs of up-force? Or...?!?~!

Oh absolutely. I already had all the hardware to pin the front and back down on the Kayak.

@cstork, I am absolutely being neurotic with my 130k (combined between the kayak costs) purchase. LOL. Not sorry. Its all insured so hey if something happens it happens but prefer to not go through the hassle.
Please post back with your experience and wh/mi. Have a 500 mile kayak roundtrip in a few weeks and wondering if I should bother with the Tesla. Carrying a 145 abs and 125 thermo boat, guessing at 125-150lbs if i empty the boats and carry the gear inside.

Biggest issue I have is our only bother car is an xc90 with no crossbars so really don’t feel like dropping $$ on them.

Last edited:
Neither static nor dynamic weight address the greatest safety issue carrying surfboards or kayaks: upward wind force. While the issue fades out if bow and stern are tied down, that's completely irrelevant to surfboards. So please Dr. Tesla, give us your data on upward wind force on from surfboards, kayaks, and boxes at highway speed! And if Tesla continues to promote their MY roof rack as good for kayaks, tell us how good: 300 lbs of up-force? Or...?!?~!
I carry kayaks often. Yes, there is upward force. It's not an issue. I think the racks can tolerate more upward force than downward force.