Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Roof Shade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this time the Tesla shop actually got something to me in 2 days... The roof shade arrived today. it was dark before I had a chance to even open it, so for now I'll just mention a few things that jumped out at me:

Before I even got it opened, I noticed the bag was just enough smaller than the Tesmanian and Temai ones (which were the exact same size) to fit perfectly in the small compartment in the trunk. Actually, I can fit that, the OEM hatch cover and a folding cargo container I have. The Tesmanian one had to stay in a closet when not in use.

Second, it's made out of the same material that the hatch cover is made with. It feels like it weights half as much as the Tesmanian one. It also doesn't block anywhere as near as much light. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing at this point (and won't really for a while). I'm happy with the hatch cover, so I've got my fingers crossed.

I'm attaching a couple of indoor photos that should give you an idea of the difference in material. I'll get some shots of it on the car tomorrow.

It comes with 6 clips preinstalled (2 on the sides and 1 front and back). The clips look identical to the ones that came with the Temai one.

Attachments

• IMG_5085.jpeg
    IMG_5085.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 819
  • IMG_5088.jpeg
    IMG_5088.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 693
Reactions: rjpjnk
lol, I saw the first pic and thought you were making a joke saying you'd bought the window shade and set it up in the kitchen, and that it was just a poor quality picture. Then I saw the second pic (hey it's still early here)

I didn't realise there was an OEM one available and am wondering what the vehicle is going to be like in the Texas summer. when I had my Civic, I could tell immediately on entering whether or not I'd pulled the shade over the sunroof when I left it.

Keep us posted

I’m in the fence about ordering one, due to the possible sag in the middle. Can you report back after you install yours? Very interested in your feedback.
I will post some photos and feedback later today. And for the photos above, you do need to open them to appreciate the difference. Although they are still automatic exposure phone photos, you can clearly see the holes in the mesh OEM one. The thumbnails are too low res to see much.

Well, this time the Tesla shop actually got something to me in 2 days... The roof shade arrived today. it was dark before I had a chance to even open it, so for now I'll just mention a few things that jumped out at me:

Before I even got it opened, I noticed the bag was just enough smaller than the Tesmanian and Temai ones (which were the exact same size) to fit perfectly in the small compartment in the trunk. Actually, I can fit that, the OEM hatch cover and a folding cargo container I have. The Tesmanian one had to stay in a closet when not in use.

Second, it's made out of the same material that the hatch cover is made with. It feels like it weights half as much as the Tesmanian one. It also doesn't block anywhere as near as much light. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing at this point (and won't really for a while). I'm happy with the hatch cover, so I've got my fingers crossed.

I'm attaching a couple of indoor photos that should give you an idea of the difference in material. I'll get some shots of it on the car tomorrow.

It comes with 6 clips preinstalled (2 on the sides and 1 front and back). The clips look identical to the ones that came with the Temai one.
FWIW I like my Tesla roof shade so much I never remove it. Watch out with those little plastic clips - I immediately lost a few down the side of the interior and had to fashion some new ones.

I got a chance to try it this afternoon, and it definitely allows more light in. You really don't lose the view with it in place:
OEM Roof Shade.jpg

There is a small gap on the right, which I think will go away after it has a chance to relax (it still has wrinkles). It does sag a bit (I'm convinced there is no way around it with a one piece design), but nowhere near as much as the Tesmanian one I have.

I'm assuming this will allow more heat through, I'm not sure how it can't. Time will tell if it's enough. I do prefer the way it looks. Oh, and bonus, it's really easy to put in and take out since the clips stay attached (and it came with 6 extras).

Reactions: e645824 and bob00
I keep mine on 90%. Cooler and I don't usually have anyone in the back that would have enjoyed the view. Didn't use it much with the center sag, but fixed it perfectly. 1" small metal plate with adhesive (used for the back of a cell phone case). This sticks great on the glass roof. A small black magnet holds up the center with zero sagging. Hasn't moved a mm in months. Easily removeable

Reactions: BigDanSRQ
On my current car, I usually have the cover on my sunroof closed unless I want my sunroof open. I can feel the heat on my head and don't love it. I don't have my car yet but was consider this or the more $$$ option of a ceramic tint on the roof. I'd hate for the car to burn kWh sitting in the sun trying to stay cool. Did anyone compare the shade to getting a tint on the glass roof?

On my current car, I usually have the cover on my sunroof closed unless I want my sunroof open. I can feel the heat on my head and don't love it. I don't have my car yet but was consider this or the more $$$ option of a ceramic tint on the roof. I'd hate for the car to burn kWh sitting in the sun trying to stay cool. Did anyone compare the shade to getting a tint on the glass roof?
Watch this
as you can see the roof on the model y is extremely efficient at keeping heat out. Don’t waste money On tinting it. Most of the heat comes from the front windows and front window. Tint all the windows with ceramic as only the roof has ceramic heat resistance from factory.

One tip: on the OEM shield the metal frame must bow slightly outwards all the way around the perimeter. Unfortunately, we have a spot on one side where the curve is gone and the clips do not reach all the way into the trim there. I think perhaps this happened when the shield was twisted for placement into the carrying bag.

One tip: on the OEM shield the metal frame must bow slightly outwards all the way around the perimeter. Unfortunately, we have a spot on one side where the curve is gone and the clips do not reach all the way into the trim there. I think perhaps this happened when the shield was twisted for placement into the carrying bag.
Definitely agree that the metal frame must bow outwards. Thanks for that information. The OEM shield comes with no directions. Ours came with 12 clips; thus, some extras. What works well for us is to use six of the clips, inserting two on each of the long lengths about 7” in from the front and back ends. One clip is centered on the front side of the frame. On the back side, our frame has a small bulge towards the back about 6” off-center. We placed the back clip at this bulge.

We like this sun shield. We live in Florida and the shield make the interior more comfortable. Its open fabric is semitransparent so one still has a view through the roof. Noise level seems somewhat reduced. Cost ($120) seems a bit high.