Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Spoiler coming off on Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that my spoiler is also coming loose on one side. I scheduled a service appointment but I'm surprised they didn't offer mobile for something like this.
I had mine replaced and it started coming off the day it was installed. After talking to the service rep, they were willing to fulfill the request for mobile service, but one side is still coming up again. Might just go aftermarket after one more time.

A8B469B0-FCFE-409E-B05D-D147E89DD70C.jpeg
I noticed the spoiler on my Y performance wasn’t connected on the sides when I took delivery. Kind of thought it was the design TBH. Today when I opened the hatch I noticed it was noticeably loose and looks like it’s peeling of all together. Made an appointment. My Y is 3 months old.

According to 3M, VHB tape does not require a curing time BUT does require the correct primer to be used on the surfaces. Are the Tesla technicians preparing and priming the paint surface? If the tape is coming off with the spoiler, this may be the case why the spoilers keep coming off. If the tape is coming off the spoiler that could mean Tesla is not prepping the spoiler surface correctly before the tape is applied.
3M guide PDF here: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1204168O/3m-vhb-tape-design-guide-high-res-pdf.pdf

According to 3M, VHB tape does not require a curing time BUT does require the correct primer to be used on the surfaces. Are the Tesla technicians preparing and priming the paint surface? If the tape is coming off with the spoiler, this may be the case why the spoilers keep coming off. If the tape is coming off the spoiler that could mean Tesla is not prepping the spoiler surface correctly before the tape is applied.
3M guide PDF here: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1204168O/3m-vhb-tape-design-guide-high-res-pdf.pdf
No, that’s not the reason. I’ve done this all before to a T and the spoiler just doesn’t kiss the ass! You need to use Betalink K1 to attach the spoiler!

Reactions: PACEMD
Aftermarket spoilers are a couple hundred each though right? I rather just keep it on until it won't stay anymore. It's not like it actually offers efficiency or performance does it?

I bought matte carbon print spoilers for ~$80 each (3 and Y) ... Have held up for a year now.

Don't know how the compare to OEM, they are obviously fake but not sure if OEM is real carbon either?

I bought matte carbon print spoilers for ~$80 each (3 and Y) ... Have held up for a year now.

Don't know how the compare to OEM, they are obviously fake but not sure if OEM is real carbon either?

When I installed it, I first cleaned and dried the trunk well (duh), then I used painters tape to fit it how I would like. Then I used tape on the car to mark the edges and outline of the spoiler. Removed the spoiler and then used the rubbing pad they include, specially the edges.

On the 3 I overshot a bit and the rubbing pad is abrasive so it left some microscratches I will need to buff out.

Then I removed just about 3 inches of spoiler backing tape one the edges and then made sure it was fit well. Made sure to put pressure on the center section (where tape was not peeled) to make sure there was a good fit. Then removed the tape (slide it out).

Then spent a good 30 seconds applying pressure to all areas including edges.

Used some more painters tape to hold it in place overnight.

So far so good.

Reactions: Young Phenom