Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Spoiler coming off on Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyones Model Y Performance OEM spoiler slowly having play and have gaps between the spoiler and the trunk?

I just noticed both side coming up when I was grabbing groceries from the trunk when I looked up to push the trunk close button only to see my garage lights shine down on both left side and right side to see the glue slowly coming un done.

View attachment 665809
super common problem. mobile tech replaced mine. one of the first defects he looked for. I hadn't noticed it yet. it will be under warranty

Add me to the "need a new spoiler" group. Mine was lifted on each corner at delivery. Had the car wrapped, and then made a service appt. They cited me over a grand for replacement. I canceled, made a new service appt, and will see what they say. Might just get a Tesmanian Matte Black spoiler to match my car better and sell the OEM. Def not paying for it to be replaced if thats the case. Never. LOL.

I'm going into the service center next week to get my spoiler fixed/replaced again. I got my car April 2020, and it's been replaced twice already. Luckily they're still offering a warranty on it I guess, so the fix/replacement will be free.

They gave me a replacement for my August 2021 MYP spoiler that was falling off since delivery. They stated this is the only one they will do because I wrapped my vehicle. WOMP.

My MYP was built December 2021. Left edge of spoiler was lifted just a tad. Now it is 3/30/3022 and detachment has spread to 1/4 of spoiler’s left side. I am getting full PPF for my car & installer said they typically reinstall spoiler over PPF. I plan to buy either AOSK or RPM Tesla spoiler. Probably go with a carbon fiber based RPM Tesla spoiler since they are a local business in my case & seem to have a good reputation.

Has anyone had success removing their spoiler without damage and re-applying it with stronger adhesive? Last time I was at the service center, I asked about it and they said when they have to replace them, they don't try to save the old one, just break it and pull it off. That seems like a waste. If I could get it off cleanly with some dental floss or something like that and re-attach it myself, I think I could do a better job.

You could use a heat gun to soften the tape and then lift slowly working your way across. 200F should be good to soften the VHB. My second spoiler is starting to lift off again and when it gets to that point where I can't stand it anymore I'll remove it myself.

How is this still an issue. 3rd one peeling off now.
It will probably always be an issue since it's just held on with double sided adhesive. The adhesive will soften in warm weather and over time will fail. Still don't understand the point of Tesla going so cheap with the spoiler on a car that costs over $60k. If you're going to offer a spoiler as an OEM option on a performance model, it should actually provide some benefit and be bolted to the car. The performance spoiler is purely cosmetic.

It will probably always be an issue since it's just held on with double sided adhesive. The adhesive will soften in warm weather and over time will fail. Still don't understand the point of Tesla going so cheap with the spoiler on a car that costs over $60k. If you're going to offer a spoiler as an OEM option on a performance model, it should actually provide some benefit and be bolted to the car. The performance spoiler is purely cosmetic.
I’m convinced the bend is off by just a bit. Have to push hard to get the one side flush.

Had mine replaced 4 total times, 3 mobile service , 1 service center. I gave up. It's coming up again. I'll probably just remove it and go aftermarket.

I got rear ended a few weeks ago with minor damage. But they need to replace the hatch so if it stays this time cool, if not aftermarket it is. Local body shop probably will do it better than Tesla anyway.
Time to replace it with a 5’ in. Aftermarket, from Amazon.. 👍🏻

Attachments

• F1BA81B7-5EB7-4C13-806F-BB6E77AD5FB7.jpeg
    F1BA81B7-5EB7-4C13-806F-BB6E77AD5FB7.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 180
Reactions: OutofPocket
Has anyone had success removing their spoiler without damage and re-applying it with stronger adhesive? Last time I was at the service center, I asked about it and they said when they have to replace them, they don't try to save the old one, just break it and pull it off. That seems like a waste. If I could get it off cleanly with some dental floss or something like that and re-attach it myself, I think I could do a better job.

This is what the guy (Joe) did when I had my full PPF applied. It was at first removed, they did the wrap, when I came back to get it he re-applied it while I watched. He used with some tape, but used more than Tesla does. I don't recall the type of tape, but it only took a couple of minutes and that was that. It's been 5 months and the spoiler has not budged. He claims after they do it with this method, they won't ever pop up.

FWIW As I recall, he told me that Tesla simply doesn't use enough tape, not that the "glue" isn't strong enough.

You can probably ask them about it via email - [email protected]

Reactions: Ruffles
My MYP was built December 2021. Left edge of spoiler was lifted just a tad. Now it is 3/30/3022 and detachment has spread to 1/4 of spoiler’s left side. I am getting full PPF for my car & installer said they typically reinstall spoiler over PPF. I plan to buy either AOSK or RPM Tesla spoiler. Probably go with a carbon fiber based RPM Tesla spoiler since they are a local business in my case & seem to have a good reputation.
Just chatted with my PPF installer about my full body PPF appointment in May (they are booked that far in advance in Los Angeles area). He said to let them try to put the oem spoiler back on before I buy an aftermarket. They think they can put it on better than Tesla. Said If it starts to lift again, they can remove it without harming PPF & I can go aftermarket route. Very well known shop so I am going to trust their info.

This might just be ignorance on my part but when the MYPs were delivered without the OEM spoiler weren't they also software locked to 135 MPH vs 155?

The conclusion I am inferring is that they do in fact provide some benefit based on manufacturer modeling.

Thoughts?

This might just be ignorance on my part but when the MYPs were delivered without the OEM spoiler weren't they also software locked to 135 MPH vs 155?

The conclusion I am inferring is that they do in fact provide some benefit based on manufacturer modeling.

Thoughts?
I’m not sure about a change in top speed, but would you really trust a double sided taped spoiler to really make a difference? People are having them fall off just driving normally.
I can’t see them providing any functional benefit. Would be good to hear though from anyone who’s tracked their Y with the OEM spoiler to see if they felt any difference and also if the spoiler fell off at high speed.

I’m not sure about a change in top speed, but would you really trust a double sided taped spoiler to really make a difference? People are having them fall off just driving normally.
I can’t see them providing any functional benefit. Would be good to hear though from anyone who’s tracked their Y with the OEM spoiler to see if they felt any difference and also if the spoiler fell off at high speed.
Just wondering; 🤔What’s the purpose of the spoiler on all the Model X ?

Just wondering; 🤔What’s the purpose of the spoiler on all the Model X ?
X is a completely different shape.