Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Spoiler coming off on Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
X is a completely different shape.

Just took my 2’ OE carbon fiber spoiler off; Maybe I ought to sell it back to Tesla 😲😂🤣

Attachments

• 57AAFA85-6B48-4870-B0A4-AB331B930832.jpeg
    57AAFA85-6B48-4870-B0A4-AB331B930832.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 457
X is a completely different shape.

@RowdyMY; Agree, they are different but what purpose do they serve?

Car delivered on Feb 1.

Car is on its 3rd spoiler and I haven't even driven it 1k miles lol.

Car is garaged all the time. The issue is that the ends keep peeling off. Once it starts coming undone within a day or 2 I have about 2-3 inches on each side with the spoiler undone.

Wonder if you can lemon law a tesla with a spoiler issue lol.

Anyhow the service center says all they do is throw away the old spoiler and order a new one.

The rumor from the SC is that tesla will have an updated spoiler that may or may not actually be drilled and screwed in.

It's just a rumor of course. But I bet tesla has to be doing something about it

Car delivered on Feb 1.

Car is on its 3rd spoiler and I haven't even driven it 1k miles lol.

Car is garaged all the time. The issue is that the ends keep peeling off. Once it starts coming undone within a day or 2 I have about 2-3 inches on each side with the spoiler undone.

Wonder if you can lemon law a tesla with a spoiler issue lol.

Anyhow the service center says all they do is throw away the old spoiler and order a new one.

The rumor from the SC is that tesla will have an updated spoiler that may or may not actually be drilled and screwed in.

It's just a rumor of course. But I bet tesla has to be doing something about it
I'm thinking Tesla just uses crappy adhesive for the spoilers. Either that or they suck at installing it. I had mine replaced like a week after delivery because it looked like it's starting to lift off at one of the edges. The 2nd one was also looking like it was starting to lift off a bit at the edges after around 2 weeks later and I was going to get it replaced again, but I got rear ended before the appointment so I cancelled it. The body shop that did the repairs transferred the spoiler to the new liftgate and it looks like it conforms the curvature of the liftgate better than before and have not lifted off so far after 2+ months. So based on this I think it's comes down to who is installing the spoiler instead of the spoiler itself.

Reactions: dduffey
I'm on my 4th spoiler. They don't try to re-attach, they just replace with a whole new one. This 4th spoiler actually looks different than the first 3, but I've noticed that it's starting to come off again haha.

I believe it has to do with weather. If the car is in some warm weather and outside for a few hours, it'll start coming right off. I'm pretty sure I'll go through a few more this summer.

The cheap aftermarket "Bromely" spoilers (Amazon) held up on both our 3 an Y during Texas heat last summer if anyone is looking for alternative, no corner lifting problems.

I made sure to clean and prep the surface before applying ... even creating some micro scratches in the clear coat on accident (they did buff out), so I taped out the area better before doing the second car.

I also put my weight on both corners for a good 30+ seconds to make sure there is a strong bond.

Before you have the service center do it, might be worth removing the old spoiler and prepping the surface before asking them to install (or install it yourself if they allow).

The Bromely spoilers came with extra double sided tape but I have not had to use them.

2020 Model Y Peformance in Southern California. Garaged. Going on 6th spoiler and the last service advisor said this most recent spoiler would never lift off again as they used glue.

Well, not only has the spoiler lifted off on the end (passenger side), but whatever adhesive they used has stained the paint a yellow hue that does not come off with washing.

Love Tesla but this is getting ridiculous. I’d take a $1,000 buyout to not have to deal with this spoiler going forward, but the solution seems to be continue to replace.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
2020 Model Y Peformance in Southern California. Garaged. Going on 6th spoiler and the last service advisor said this most recent spoiler would never lift off again as they used glue.

Well, not only has the spoiler lifted off on the end (passenger side), but whatever adhesive they used has stained the paint a yellow hue that does not come off with washing.

Love Tesla but this is getting ridiculous. I’d take a $1,000 buyout to not have to deal with this spoiler going forward, but the solution seems to be continue to replace.
Slow down 😲 Probably comes loose when your doing over 100mph 😂🤣

I’d buy a new spoiler perhaps an RPM as I read they make better fit to tesla body. They have an OEM look alike too. I wish I did this.
My OEM spoiler was detached on passenger side after a few months after picking up car on 12/15/2021. I was having full body PPF installed and detailer said they needed to remove spoiler and could reinstall in a manner that spoiler will not detach. I offerred to buy a new spoiler for them to attach but they said to save my money and assured me the current one would be fine.
When I got soiled back it was indeed offset from body a tad in the area which had originally lifted. The spoiler is still sticking to trunk strongly after 2 months and a few car washings. There was thick foamy tape in area which had originally lifted and spoiler is a bit offset from body. I can push passenger side of spoiler flush to car and it stays in a flush position for an hour or so but eventually moves outward.
My theory, my spoiler itself is deformed and just pulls more in that area or my detailer didn’t get the alignment perfect 🤷‍♂️ . It’s not too noticeable so I’ll leave it be probably for now. I do have lifetime guarantee on ppf so ppf starts to lift off trunk that’s when I’d opt to get a new spoiler.

Last edited:
Yep, OEM.

As I recall he said that it wasn't the adhesive they use that Tesla uses that is the problem, it's that they don't use enough of them. So he simply adds an additional one and voila. It was done in about 30 seconds.
So on my last replacement, the SA said they didn’t use tape but a different adhesive that another advisor guessed was something similar to what they’d use to reinstall the front window. He noted that if my most recent spoiler ever comes off, it’s taking the paint with it…well, we’ll see how things go next week.

Reactions: DesmoDog
@Ruffles Was this your video? If so, what was the result of adding extra tape? Did it work?
Yes. Didn't work. It might have been that I didn't leave the painters tape on long enough to hold it in place while the 3m VBH tape cured - I only had it taped down for a day. At any rate, I've ordered an Unplugged Performance spoiler and I also got some of the 3m 06396 adhesion promoter that I will use before I install it (if it ever arrives :( ). If that doesn't keep it attached, I don't know what will.

The OEM spoiler is not designed properly for the curve of the trunk. Shouldn’t be rocket science to get this to work.

This is going on 2 years, such a stupid and expensive issue to still have.
BINGO. Precisely!!!

The spoiler is not curved enough to follow the body curve and the springback on the ends of the spoiler pull against the adhesive thus lifting on the ends. The OEM tape is 3M #036309

Only true fix is winning the curve lottery

Reactions: chil943