Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Spoiler coming off on Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BINGO. Precisely!!!

The spoiler is not curved enough to follow the body curve and the springback on the ends of the spoiler pull against the adhesive thus lifting on the ends. The OEM tape is 3M #036309

Only true fix is winning the curve lottery
Did you mean the 3M 03609 like this one? I am always curious what tape Tesla use
s-l1600.jpg

Unfortunately, there seems to be a shortage of true carbon fiber spoilers as well. I cancelled my order with Unplugged because they couldn't even guess when they would ship and Tsportline says my order placed last month will ship in Aug - hopefully.

just epoxy it down problem solved, no reason to ever have to take it off, get some waterproof car epoxy/outdoor epoxy put a small layer push down and tape down in place and it will never come off
I’m not messing with it while under warranty. Tesla can keep replacing it and if they ruin my paint then they can repaint my hatch.

Fix the curve and this is really a non-issue.

Reminds me, I need to setup an appointment for another replacement. This one started lifting in 2 days.
AE2A90A9-00C2-40D7-8922-67458F09F654.jpeg

I’m not messing with it while under warranty. Tesla can keep replacing it and if they ruin my paint then they can repaint my hatch.

Fix the curve and this is really a non-issue.

Reminds me, I need to setup an appointment for another replacement. This one started lifting in 2 days.View attachment 841348
After they Replace it. Take blue painters tape and pull it down tight around the edges. Works like a charm. Leave it on for a day and let the tape cure and it won’t come off. Been doing it for years on plenty of spoilers and never an issue.

Reactions: chil943 and scrapps
Spoiler #5, wish me luck!View attachment 842109
Damn, that's a lot of spoilers! So they have no issue with constantly replacing your spoiler? When I went to my SC to get spoiler #2, the tech that talked to me after installation said if there's an issue they would take care of it, but after a certain amount of time they might "sunset" this spoiler replacement for me (I was pretty sure he wasn't talking about the warranty period). I guess "lucky" for me, the body shop that repaired a rear-end damage on my car put spoiler #2 back on much better than the SC was able to, so I haven't had to go back for spoiler #3.

Damn, that's a lot of spoilers! So they have no issue with constantly replacing your spoiler? When I went to my SC to get spoiler #2, the tech that talked to me after installation said if there's an issue they would take care of it, but after a certain amount of time they might "sunset" this spoiler replacement for me (I was pretty sure he wasn't talking about the warranty period). I guess "lucky" for me, the body shop that repaired a rear-end damage on my car put spoiler #2 back on much better than the SC was able to, so I haven't had to go back for spoiler #3.
Have not given me any issues. I park in a garage and don’t use car washes. Hopping for lucky #5

Worst case just remove the dam thing and make it a STEALTH Performance Tesla. I’m replacing the 21” UT with some 18s from TSportLine and am sure folks will think I’m just a LR Model Y with painted calipers and cheap spoiler posing as a P?

That’s my plan if the dam spoiler isn’t attached properly. Walk softly but carry a BIG a stick.

That just makes me cringe.
Cringe all you like... It's a good quality car wash and with ceramic coating the paint is holding up just fine. My MYP is my daily driver, not a show car. I'd rather it be spotless clean 99% of the time vs. not having a few swirl marks after a couple of years. After many years of pricey car ownership, I've gotten over the obsessive compulsive detailing disorder. Heck, it's a Tesla appliance, it's not going to be a classic in 20 years!

Cringe all you like... It's a good quality car wash and with ceramic coating the paint is holding up just fine. My MYP is my daily driver, not a show car. I'd rather it be spotless clean 99% of the time vs. not having a few swirl marks after a couple of years. After many years of pricey car ownership, I've gotten over the obsessive compulsive detailing disorder. Heck, it's a Tesla appliance, it's not going to be a classic in 20 years!
If you have ceramic coating, why not just go touchless?

If you have ceramic coating, why not just go touchless?
Boise Idaho and the surrounding treasure valley area has more car washes than I've ever seen in a town. Likely due to the messy winter conditions. The "Rocket" branded wash a mile from my house is top notch, though not touchless. $35/mo for unlimited washes, 60 dry stalls with air hoses and vacuums, mat washing machines, and supplied microfiber towels (I bring my own Adams waffle weave towels and only use theirs on jambs and wheels/tires). There are very few "touchless" washes in the area, and I've found that touchless washes use a much harsher chemical to try to get the car clean. See others who've posted about black trim discoloration from "touchless" washes with High Ph soaps... No issues here.