Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Tire Life Expectancy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just passed 10,000 miles on my 2022 AWD Model 3. Per the maintenance interval spec, I took an hour yesterday and rotated the tires for the first time.

Just curious... what kind of tire life should I expect? The OEM tires are a Michelin "Green," whatever that means. 18" wheels. Tire size 235/45R18. Tire pressure religiously kept at 42 lbs psi, cold. Pretty much all miles with a single 175lb driver; along with 50lb spare tire/accessories. Probably 50/50 split between miles on secondary roads vs. interstate or other high speed highways.

tempImagekOEtIe.jpg

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a 2020 MY LR with the original 19" Continental ProContact tires. My current mileage is 37,716. I estimate that 2/3 of my miles have been on highways. I usually drive like a grandma. Tires have been rotated once. One tire was replaced due to an unrepairable puncture. The most recent time I took the car in for service, Tesla declined to rotate them stating that they inspected the tires and determined it wasn't necessary. I will be disappointed if I have to replace the set prior to 40k. I'd like be able to safely ride them to 50k, but I wouldn't be upset if I had to replace them a little earlier than that.

Reactions: Regaj
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a 2020 MY LR with the original 19" Continental ProContact tires. My current mileage is 37,716. I estimate that 2/3 of my miles have been on highways. I usually drive like a grandma. Tires have been rotated once. One tire was replaced due to an unrepairable puncture. The most recent time I took the car in for service, Tesla declined to rotate them stating that they inspected the tires and determined it wasn't necessary. I will be disappointed if I have to replace the set prior to 40k. I'd like be able to safely ride them to 50k, but I wouldn't be upset if I had to replace them a little earlier than that.
My wife's Y has the same setup as you, and we're right at 35k miles on her car. We're definitely going to need to change her tires between now and 40k and I'm debating doing it sooner than later, especially if we get a decent amount of snow in the NE this year.

Just curious... what kind of tire life should I expect? The OEM tires are a Michelin "Green," whatever that means. 18" wheels. Tire size 235/45R18.
Measure the tread depth of the front and rear tires. The new tread depth for the Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1 235/45/18 is 8/32", and the legal minimum is 2/32" (but 4/32" may be noticeably worse in wet weather).

Assuming you continue to rotate the tires periodically, take the average of the wear to calculate how many miles you are likely to get before wearing them down to 4/32" or 2/32".