Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Tire on Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - my rookie question to this community. I have a 5 month old Model S Plaid and ran over something Thanksgiving Day which put a hold in the front drivers side tire. The OEM tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 295/30/ZR21 (102Y Extra Load). My local Tesla Service Center said they are not doing tire replacements (due to volume of service requests and told me to get a new tire 3rd party). I have called numerous 3rd party tire shops - most say they are out of stock but one said something interesting which I'm hoping someone can confirm. They said the Michelin tire which comes on the Plaid is special made for the Tesla and had foam on the inside to dampen noise. This tire shop says they do not have access to it......and referred me back to Tesla.

I just got off the phone with Telsa Service nearest me - they said they do not have the tire. They also said they have no ability to check inventory for surrounding service centers. They referred me back to third party service centers. Pretty frustrating given a $140,000 care, not to mention I live 20min from the Tesla Factory in Fremont.

Net/net, looking to see if someone can confirm the bit about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which came on the Plaid being a special tire made by Michelin specifically for the Plaid. Apprently there is a part number for this tire which is different than the standard Pilot Sport 4S.

Might just be out of stock like most tires are. For the smaller 265/35/21 size, tirerack sells both the Normal and Tesla variants.

Tirerack doesn't show the Tesla alternate for the 295/30 size

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 2.06.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 2.06.59 PM.png
    821.3 KB · Views: 825
I had same issue; rear leaking tire and none of the big online or local tire folks had the acoustic version of the tire which has literally a simple foam insert that supposedly lowers tire and road noise in the cabin. Tesla customer service (phone and app) was abysmal as expected -- no response until after numerous inquiries, and they didn't have the tire available anywhere even for emergencies. Finally, I got the non-acoustic tire from a big online tire seller, no difference I could notice re: cabin noise, and problem solved.

Hi - my rookie question to this community. I have a 5 month old Model S Plaid and ran over something Thanksgiving Day which put a hold in the front drivers side tire. The OEM tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 295/30/ZR21 (102Y Extra Load). My local Tesla Service Center said they are not doing tire replacements (due to volume of service requests and told me to get a new tire 3rd party). I have called numerous 3rd party tire shops - most say they are out of stock but one said something interesting which I'm hoping someone can confirm. They said the Michelin tire which comes on the Plaid is special made for the Tesla and had foam on the inside to dampen noise. This tire shop says they do not have access to it......and referred me back to Tesla.

I just got off the phone with Telsa Service nearest me - they said they do not have the tire. They also said they have no ability to check inventory for surrounding service centers. They referred me back to third party service centers. Pretty frustrating given a $140,000 care, not to mention I live 20min from the Tesla Factory in Fremont.

Net/net, looking to see if someone can confirm the bit about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S which came on the Plaid being a special tire made by Michelin specifically for the Plaid. Apprently there is a part number for this tire which is different than the standard Pilot Sport 4S.
Yes if you look at the tire it has an R1 on it this refers to the foam insolation. Tesla can get them for you and they get them cheaper. I have same issue ran over a pothole and now need 2 new tires as I have bubble in sidewall. You don't want the R2 (no foam) I have them on order from tesla and same thing no time on it. Tire Rack was 100 more per tire and 30-45 days wait for the r1 tire.