Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

oem tire valve caps, performance uber wheels...are they aluminum from factory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it have aluminum valve caps? I believe it does and from pictures it looks like it does and I feel like they were when I check tire pressures.

I ask bc I just got pilot sport as4 installed at discount tire. Not only did they bang up an edge of one of my wheels they also gave it back to me with 2 missing caps and 2 run of the mill plastic caps.

I don’t remember if mine came with metal caps or not, but at some point I changed them to some colored aftermarket metal caps with Tesla logo. When I took my car to service center to do a brake job a couple of months ago, they advised me to not use metal caps because they could get fused to the stem. They put plastic caps on and left my aftermarket caps in the car. This does make sense so I’m just going to leave the plastic caps on.

Silver plastic valve stem caps are standard. If you had aftermarket aluminum ones, they should find them in the shop and return them to you.

Don't let any wheel damage go without compensation. They are a professional shop and should know how to handle wheels without scratching them. It's not hard if you take your time. I just saw a quote on Reddit from someone with a Volvo with 21" wheels that paid $200 just for labor at a Discount Tire. That's not inconsequential.

I charge $80 and don't scratch wheels. These people should be perfect every time at $200.

Reactions: akidesir
thanks for the replies...so i guess the originals must look and feel like aluminum but are actually plastic....i know for sure mine were black...i wish I could find a place that sells the oem ones online

I agree about the rim...it is damage to the edge...kinda looks like where they use that crowbar thing...touch up paint and no one will notice...but I agree that they should be perfect and their A team only should be working on an expensive wheel like this....they told me to come back and let the manager look at it but I don't think it is worth the drive...i'm just going to touch it up, leave a bad review and go to my original location from here on out.

again, thanks for the replies...i still feel like the originals were some type of aluminum but maybe they just felt that way

thanks for the replies...so i guess the originals must look and feel like aluminum but are actually plastic....i know for sure mine were black...i wish I could find a place that sells the oem ones online

I agree about the rim...it is damage to the edge...kinda looks like where they use that crowbar thing...touch up paint and no one will notice...but I agree that they should be perfect and their A team only should be working on an expensive wheel like this....they told me to come back and let the manager look at it but I don't think it is worth the drive...i'm just going to touch it up, leave a bad review and go to my original location from here on out.

again, thanks for the replies...i still feel like the originals were some type of aluminum but maybe they just felt that way
None of the stock valve caps I have seen on the Teslas that come through here have had anything other than plastic caps if that is helpful for you!

Reactions: jsight
A little off topic but the other day I added air to my tires, 19” Gemini with gray plastic caps, and noticed one of them was hard to get the air chuck seated to add the air. I got it to the proper pressure anyway and forgot about it. Next day I got a low pressure warning from that tire. When I went to add air I had the same issue with the chuck. Then I noticed the gray threaded nut that secures the valve stem (andTPMS sensor) was loose. Tightened it up and no further issues

I found my original caps in my center console. They are black plastic.
ECB48A23-0438-435A-9755-98D6DC608AF1.jpeg