Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM tire warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
Has anyone gotten a pro-rated credit on the OEM tires? They're supposed to have a 45k mile warranty, I just went for my third rotation today at America's Tire and they are already at the point of needing replacement, and I'm not even at 24k miles and the car is only about 14 months old.

They were rotated twice to this point, both by Tesla mobile service. First time around 7500 miles, second was around 14k (I emailed Tesla to get the service logs and exact mileage but haven't heard back yet)...what's the procedure for warranty replacement on OEM tires? I am pretty sure I've seen at least a few posts where people have gotten credits on them, but nothing with the details on how to go about it...

I didn't get much more than that on my MX. I got 28,000 miles but I could have probably gotten 32,000 - 34,000. Only reason I replaced was due to an upcoming 5,000 mile trip that I had to make. I never rotated the tires. They wore quite evenly. Did not seek any credit. It would have been small anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
I didn't get much more than that on my MX. I got 28,000 miles but I could have probably gotten 32,000 - 34,000. Only reason I replaced was due to an upcoming 5,000 mile trip that I had to make. I never rotated the tires. They wore quite evenly. Did not seek any credit. It would have been small anyway.

That's the other thing, I've never done a warranty claim on tires myself...but I'm only at the halfway point roughly of the warranty. If I were somewhere like 30k I would probably just replace them, but only 23k? That seems bad...

Reactions: msanghavi
I've successfully gotten the pro-rated credit for the 18" Primacys that were replaced at 20k miles. All were down to 2/32 or 3/32. Tires were rotated by Discount Tire at 7k and 18k miles at no cost, why people pay to have Tesla do it is beyond me.

Discount Tire is also where I got the credit, which was $86 per tire, for total of $344 off a set of new Michelin Pilot Sport 3 A/S Plus. Bc tires were going back to Michelin, I was also not charged for tire disposal. It ended up being around $500 out the door.

Process was started by going to DT and telling them online research shows Michelin has tread life warranty on OEM tires at 45k. The rep at DT called Michelin on the spot and went through the process with them.

Requirements for claim are:
1. Tires rotated every 10k or less. May need to show proof, which DT was able to look up in their system
2. Even wear on all 4 tires. You can't have 6/32 on fronts and 3/32 on rear and claim
3. Even wear across width of each tire

I've seen on Reddit with people having success with NTB as well.

why people pay to have Tesla do it is beyond me.

i didn't, they sent mobile service to my house and did it for free.

I've successfully gotten the pro-rated credit for the 18" Primacys that were replaced at 20k miles. All were down to 2/32 or 3/32.

that's exactly where mine are. 3 of the four were at 2/32 and the fourth was at 3/32.

Process was started by going to DT and telling them online research shows Michelin has tread life warranty on OEM tires at 45k. The rep at DT called Michelin on the spot and went through the process with them.

Requirements for claim are:
1. Tires rotated every 10k or less. May need to show proof, which DT was able to look up in their system
2. Even wear on all 4 tires. You can't have 6/32 on fronts and 3/32 on rear and claim
3. Even wear across width of each tire

this is what is frustrating about stuff like this, the guy at america's tire (which is the same company as discount tire) didn't seem to have any clue. first he asked me if the tires were brand new when i bought the car, and then proceeded to tell me i needed to call tesla and find out about getting a pro-rated credit. i'm guessing i'll need to talk to them anyway, like i said i e-mailed looking for the logs of what mileage they were rotated at...i guess i'll try calling tomorrow and see if i can get someone to send me the logs.

unfortunately i have a 250 or so mile road trip planned for tomorrow, so i guess i'll have to go to america's tire / discount tire once i get there and get them replaced there if possible...otherwise i'll have to wait til i get home later this week. thanks for the info!

Replacement tires always have a warranty so it seems like a silly idea to eliminate Michelin because of that, everything else being equal..

Michelin did when I got mine in 2018 and they changed to no warranty in 2019 and said they won’t cover anything retroactively. That’s why I’ll never buy Michelin when I need to replace my tires.

Replacement tires always have a warranty so it seems like a silly idea to eliminate Michelin because of that, everything else being equal..
Perhaps silly for you; however, I won’t give my business to a company who warranties their product and then sometime afterwards changes their warranty terms and refuses to cover items purchased prior to the change in warranty (so, retroactively). There are other tires that are equal to or better than Michelin when it comes to wear rating, treadlife, warranty, etc.

I'm a big Michelin fan so, regardless, that is what I will likely get when my tires wear out... There is a nice Bridgestone that I would consider as well... I definitely will not go with the OEM tires.

Perhaps silly for you; however, I won’t give my business to a company who warranties their product and then sometime afterwards changes their warranty terms and refuses to cover items purchased prior to the change in warranty (so, retroactively). There are other tires that are equal to or better than Michelin when it comes to wear rating, treadlife, warranty, etc.

You're penalizing Michelin for a warranty they no longer do, when other companies didn't do it to begin with. We are only dealing with OEM tires here, the ones that come with the car. Most of us weren't aware the warranty even existed until our 45k-rated tires wore out at 20k.

Reactions: bhzmark
You're penalizing Michelin for a warranty they no longer do,
Are you sure you read my post? There’s nothing to “penalize.” I’m just stating facts. The fact is Michelin offered a warranty on their product (yes it included OEM) in 2018 when my car was delivered. In 2019, they pulled the OEM warranty (which they have a right to do). My issue with them is that they’re not honoring/grandfathering, or whatever you want to call it, my warranty any longer which is what I have an issue with.

We are only dealing with OEM tires here,
Does that really matter? Apparently, in 2018, Michelin had enough confidence in their OEM product to warranty it. Are you inferring that OEM tires are inferior? Maybe we should all be happy to get a few thousand miles out of them?

Most of us weren't aware the warranty even existed until our 45k-rated tires wore out at 20k.
Then I’d say you weren’t an informed consumer. Only takes a quick look at Michelin’s web site to find out any warranty information.

Has anyone gotten a pro-rated credit on the OEM tires? They're supposed to have a 45k mile warranty, I just went for my third rotation today at America's Tire and they are already at the point of needing replacement, and I'm not even at 24k miles and the car is only about 14 months old.

They were rotated twice to this point, both by Tesla mobile service. First time around 7500 miles, second was around 14k (I emailed Tesla to get the service logs and exact mileage but haven't heard back yet)...what's the procedure for warranty replacement on OEM tires? I am pretty sure I've seen at least a few posts where people have gotten credits on them, but nothing with the details on how to go about it...

Did you ever game at back from Tesla?

They didn't change the terms, OEM tires aren't covered by the warranty. It says so in the fine print. Yes, people have had success getting covered by the warranty but I think that's due to DT wanting to make the sale and the rep from Michelin not knowing.

Edit: went looking for the post that had the fine print and found this. https://www.michelinman.com/on/dema.../michelin-oe-tires-owners-manual-warranty.pdf

Michelin warranty states OEM tires on model year cars 2017 and prior are included.
They appear to have stopped the warranty of 2018 model year cars not 2019

The statement about them not grandfathering in previous cars does not seem to be accurate. It is just the stop date was 2017. If you today own a 2017 Model 3 under the mileage limit with rotation's done you will still qualify.

Have been a few reports of Model 3's newer than 2017 getting the tires partially covered though for whatever reason.

Last edited: