Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard that the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires are not readily available outside of Tesla Service Centers. I would check that out with Tesla and discuss the pros and cons of going instead to the previously supplied Michelin tires which are commonly available. The Goodyear tires are supposed to be quieter, although this is apparently debatable. A lot of people think the Michelin tires are great. I had a blowout with a Goodyear Eagle Touring tire in the first two weeks of car ownership, so I am a little concerned about the tires. Honestly, the jury is still out, but given the opportunity I would definitely look into it.

I have already had to do a patch plug. I was not aware there was foam inserts in the stock tires. See below the small little throne that caused a very small leak. Also, note the interesting parts.

20171117_084809.jpg20171105_085934.jpg20171105_085817.jpg

Wow didn’t take much.... what do you use to patch? Product name?
Actually, I received help from a tire place at walmart. I was up spending the night in Huntsville TX at the supercharger hotel and that next morning, the car showed approx 8psi different in that tire. It was Sunday, nothing open and I seen the Walmart on the other side of 45. Was going to stop in and purchase a pump but wife said, may have a tire repair. I'm like sure uh ok. 8am nothing else open, one person looked at the tire as I rolled it back. Seen nothing. They didn't have a problem helping but I wasn't about to let them lift the car on their simple lift. So, I showed them where to lift up just that one tire. I placed the jack carefully and we raised that one wheel, all after I put the car in jack mode. While they went to get some tools, I took lug covers off. I said no air tools. removed the wheel and they went to looking. a good 15min later, the old guy found it! So off the tire came and that's when I seen it was a foam insert. we cut a small piece away from the area, and grind sand where the patch goes just enough to ensure the patch was going to secure to the inside of the tire. Made a very small hole and put the patch through the hole. A bit of glue on the patch ensuring no glue touched the foam for I wasn't sure if the rubber glue would be foam safe. Mounted the tire, balanced it and put it back on the car. During this time I was asking them to ensure they know the torque specs were. To my surprise, they knew it was 130. As I was verifying the torque wrench, I showed the guy where we're going to back that down to 129. I know no big deal but I felt better. Put the tire back on the car paid and tipped well, drove away. At any time, anyone there could have said, we don't work on teslas. Glad it worked out. Still holding air week 2 now. It looked like a standard small universal patch.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I've been having too much fun driving/learning about our car that I almost forgot to post my update. Our car was delivered with the Goodyear Eagle Touring, 245/45R19.
I so know the feeling. I'll tell you what's crazy, took delivery on 9/11. it's only the 1st of December, and we're sitting on 9,4470 miles. I'm just Stupid in love with this thing. One big road trip from Houston to the East coast and back. It was a blast.

I have heard that the Goodyear Eagle Touring tires are not readily available outside of Tesla Service Centers. I would check that out with Tesla and discuss the pros and cons of going instead to the previously supplied Michelin tires which are commonly available. The Goodyear tires are supposed to be quieter, although this is apparently debatable. A lot of people think the Michelin tires are great. I had a blowout with a Goodyear Eagle Touring tire in the first two weeks of car ownership, so I am a little concerned about the tires. Honestly, the jury is still out, but given the opportunity I would definitely look into it.
Tire Rack has them.