Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM trunk storage bin (right side) for 2022 MYLR ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone on this board installed the Tesla storage bins on a 2022 MYLR?
We just picked up our new Y about 2 weeks ago and the wife ordered the storage bins. I tried installing the right one and it just won't fit not matter what I do.
I've seen posts/youtubes that mention the right one is a bit of a pain but I wonder if the 2022 model tweaked the shape of the right side... it just won't fit!
Planning on returning the bins to Tesla. Ugh!

TeslaStorageBin.jpg

It was a tight fit for me too. I had to remove and replace a few times but I finally got it to fit perfectly. The key for me on the last try was making sure the very bottom of the bin was square to all sides by pushing along the perimeter, then I was able to align the top edge.

Didn't you see the recommendations in those threads to put the bin in the freezer for several hours to shrink it a bit? That let mine slide right into place.

Keith

Saw it, didn't work.

Since high school, I've been replacing brake pads in all my cars, installed new headliner in my Z-28, replaced fan belts, replaced radio head units, even pulled the engine and replaced a cam... so SURELY I can install a frickin rubber storage bin! :cool:

It's just not manufactured properly, should slide right in but this one does not. Maybe because our '22 Y was made at the new plant in Texas? Different spec?

Saw it, didn't work.

Since high school, I've been replacing brake pads in all my cars, installed new headliner in my Z-28, replaced fan belts, replaced radio head units, even pulled the engine and replaced a cam... so SURELY I can install a frickin rubber storage bin! :cool:

It's just not manufactured properly, should slide right in but this one does not. Maybe because our '22 Y was made at the new plant in Texas? Different spec?
The right one does not "slide right in" like the left one. There is a lip it needs to fit under on the right. From your photo, it looks like it's under there, but maybe the front right corner hasn't quite cleared?.

Yeah I was just saying, me, as a customer, should expect it to just slide right in. How difficult is it to create an OEM product that fits.

Unfortunately, the front corner is in the correct position. It sits there perfectly. I think the lip is not formed properly.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to use some trash bags instead.

Yeah I was just saying, me, as a customer, should expect it to just slide right in. How difficult is it to create an OEM product that fits.

Unfortunately, the front corner is in the correct position. It sits there perfectly. I think the lip is not formed properly.

Oh well, I guess we'll just have to use some trash bags instead.
I have the exact same issue. Left side was fine - right side not even close. Took it to my Tesla service center just to see if I had a unicorn fit. They were very surprised . I have a 2022 Austin build, and they had another Austin MYLR in the shop so they went and tried it on that car. And, no go. Same issue. I think we have the Austin builds out of Spec. I emailed Tesla from my order site and we will see what they say.

The people that are saying use the freezer-just push harder have no idea. The service center said they definitely do not fit properly. They should just DROP IN like the left side. First world problem I know, but still pretty frustrating.

I live in Idaho, and thought for sure I would get a Fremont build but did not. So...I missed out on the matrix headlights, the new door design and the inclusion of the mobile connector, and now this.. (had to order the mobile connector through a voucher, and who knows how long that will take to arrive.)

I did get the flimsy cargo cover :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
So what do you do to return the incorrect bins? I looked on the site and don't see a way to contact them.
Not only the compartment is not shaped correctly but also the wood cover is not shaped correctly. The right compartment has a curve on the back side of the metal which is not on the left side. Love the left. Feel a handicapped a bit.

So what do you do to return the incorrect bins? I looked on the site and don't see a way to contact them.
Not only the compartment is not shaped correctly but also the wood cover is not shaped correctly. The right compartment has a curve on the back side of the metal which is not on the left side. Love the left. Feel a handicapped a bit.
great question. I emailed the Tesla shop support address 3 times with no response yet and now I'm going on 30 days since ordering. I really like the bins but wish they would fit. I hope they are going to replace the one side so it actually fits.

I have a 2022 MYP delivered in September (Fremont)... and the right side bin doesn't fit.

I went back to the Tesla App and somehow I missed this warning (or it wasn't there the week before when I ordered them).

storage_bins.jpg

image-5.png

Even some of the 3rd party companies are listing warnings like fits "Up to March 2022 Tesla Model Y" on their storage bins. If anybody finds one that fits the 'new right side' please let me/us know.

I've also tried to contact Tesla to return mine, no response.

I have a Fremont build and I had to do it about 5 times before it would go in……if I pushed it from the bottom it would just bunch up in the back left just like yours. I think I had to kind of finesse it in but eventually it went in fine.

I have a Fremont build and I had to do it about 5 times before it would go in……if I pushed it from the bottom it would just bunch up in the back left just like yours. I think I had to kind of finesse it in but eventually it went in fine.
Not on the Austin build. There is a formed piece of internal body metal that juts out into the box area where the rubber insert and the lid fit. Lid will absolutely will not fit.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 151
Heard back from Tesla shop support and they confirmed that these bins don't fit the new models. They offered a return label with a refund which I am doing. They also said the updated bins will probably be available early next year.

Anyone see bins that fit the new shape from other sellers? I haven't been able to find one yet.

Reactions: DerbyCityY