Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM vs Aftermarket Tow Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a hitch and as long as it bolts to the factory mount points,has all the requisite safety ratings, and hides well behind the factory cover it doesn't really matter. I specifically ordered mine without the hitch so I could get a much cheaper alternative like the EcoHitch.

Installation quality is the most important component. Since hitches are steel, and the connection points on the Y are aluminum, this can lead to trouble with galvanic corrosion. Many Model S owners suffered this. Since you need to take the bumper off to even see it, you'd never know it was happening the whole time it's eating away your crash structure. A normal hitch will work fine if it's installed carefully and correctly.

Still, I decided it wasn't worth the risk and ordered the OEM option. At least if there's an issue it'll be Tesla's problem.

If you’re going to tow something (as opposed to just using it for a bike rack) then OEM without question.

It comes with Trailer Mode in software, which disables certain sensors, calibrates AP for towing, includes wiring for trailer lights and a brake controller, and of course it will be installed right without fear of galvanic corrosion.

From the Owner’s Manual:

Some Autopilot features, as well as rear parking sensor functionality, may not be available when Trailer Mode is enabled. In addition, these features operate differently:

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control increases the following distance from the vehicle in front of you.
• Side collision warnings are active but automatic steering interventions are disabled.
• The braking force provided by Automatic Emergency Braking (see Collision Avoidance Assist on page 113) may be limited. Therefore, stopping distance may increase.

Anyone have information on potential warranty issues with the rear motor and 3rd towing hitches?

Something about the software package bundled with the OEM hitch and how it modifies rear motor performance when towing.
Im also interested in this answer. As a follow up will tesla service centers install the after market version and has anyone looked at the cost difference for service + hitch?