Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Off menu" waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My email change is submitted, and my last call with phone sales said it's in my account in their customer relation management system. There is no update online for me. Anecdotally, DJ Frustration in posts #200 #203 finally got an online update. That was only after asking about it. I can only speculate about what IT, process, and/or resource problem prevents that.

Eyeballing the order spreadsheet to mid-October and filtering for white interiors, there are a smattering (20 eyeball-counted) of VIN assignments but only for AWD and performance. These must have already been in the pipeline and matched. Their configuration to VIN times seem to be low. By contrast, I eyeballed 50ish mid-ranged with white interiors and no VIN's. So these must not be in production.

For MR with black interiors, there are some users (rough guess of 20-30) who reported VIN assignment since October 18th. So there is new production making out there. Just not of my unicorn of a car.

I probably need to sit down and figure out how to write a formula for this. The spreadsheet estimates a 3% sample last quarter, and a 1.5% sample this quarter so far. So perhaps we can multiply those numbers above by 66-100.

I have my game plan of waiting for December 1 or so, and then looking for inventory vehicles. I may have to modify if white interior VIN's start popping up in our spreadsheet. Back to waiting, for me.

Right, but others have ordered it and no one except you has encountered any issues. Many MR also have white interior, 1 with a VIN assigned, and no rejection, except you. You're the exception, not the rule, it would seem. I know its unfortunate, not sure why you had that issue, but there's a lot of others that would be left flapping in the wind if they don't make RWD or MR with white interiors.

Also, you do realize that not everyone who buys a Tesla visits this site, or uploads to the tracker, right???? There could be bunches of white interiors with VINs right now, but we might not know about them, unless they come on here and tell us....

I hope for your sake you are right and it's just a matter of a few more weeks, but the clock is ticking on $7,500. We took delivery of a LR RWD Midnight Silver with Black interior this week. According to my OA, the factory has ended all production of any LR RWD off-menu cars. I have no idea if that is true or not.

I generated this chart of VIN assignment dates. The data is as of yesterday, and it is only the interior color. This means that this is the previous configurations where black is only RWD, AWD, and P and white is merely AWD and P.

There has not been a ramp up of cars with white interior as there was in the third quarter seven weeks in.

I just realized that several entries were with a calculated VIN where the user had not updated their entry.

2018-11-21 11_49_52-Black and White Analysis.xlsx - Excel.png

• Informative
Reactions: lensovet
I hope for your sake you are right and it's just a matter of a few more weeks, but the clock is ticking on $7,500. We took delivery of a LR RWD Midnight Silver with Black interior this week. According to my OA, the factory has ended all production of any LR RWD off-menu cars. I have no idea if that is true or not.
That definitely isn’t 100% true as they are offering RWD cars to those in Ontario still: Last chance for Ontarians to reclaim the $14,000 CAD rebate on canceled Model 3 orders

That definitely isn’t 100% true as they are offering RWD cars to those in Ontario still: Last chance for Ontarians to reclaim the $14,000 CAD rebate on canceled Model 3 orders

That would be good news, but that article points to delivery of Mid-Range instead of Long-Range.

Luckily the Ontario Court deemed the Ontario Government’s actions as illegal and now Model 3 Long-Range Rear-Wheel-Drive (LR-RWD) customers who canceled their orders after July 11 can reorder their Model 3 (now a Mid-Range variant) by the end of November to get their cars delivered before Jan 03, 2019.

That would be good news, but that article points to delivery of Mid-Range instead of Long-Range.

Luckily the Ontario Court deemed the Ontario Government’s actions as illegal and now Model 3 Long-Range Rear-Wheel-Drive (LR-RWD) customers who canceled their orders after July 11 can reorder their Model 3 (now a Mid-Range variant) by the end of November to get their cars delivered before Jan 03, 2019.

No, you just didn't read all of it. You stopped at the author's error. The official letter from Tesla clearly states you can order a Long Range, and also, how to order it "off menu" for them.

My OA said this too, but this can't be accurate, since almost no one who ordered off menu ended up with the car they originally configured, so when did they produce them????

Just went to the Aventura FL Tesla store for fun
Asked the advisor about LR RWD availability
And luckily they had few in stock
I therefore switched my MR RWD and got the LR with an instantaneous VIN
Now the delivery is in few days
There are still few in stock available in South Florida
I originally placed an order on 10/18 (Blue/White interior/Enhanced Autopilot) but never heard from anyone and never got a VIN for MR

Just picked up my LR RW - 11/23/18. Build date on vehicle was November 2018. Was looking for a RWD after it was officially discontinued online. Made some calls direct to sales associates in local stores with no luck. I then received an email noting that quite a few new build LR RWD's were available. All colors except silver were available in various configs (18" vs 19" rims). Placed order on Sunday (11/18) and received VIN verbally at the same time. Picked up car today in Fremont. If you're looking for an LR RWD. Ask your local sales person to scan inventory.

Ordered M3 Jul 3. Cancelled mid Jul after Ford cancelled the rebate. Re-ordered LR RWD Oct 19 Off Menu because, well we were so angry with Dougie for being such an insightfull champion of the environment and we really love this car but had to have the LR.

So I called Tesla in California today after catching this bit of the Ont rebate for cancelled customers. I have not been invited to order, likely due to already having an order. Customer Service confirmed the rebate invitations are real but also said he didnt think they were producing any more LR RWD. Then realizing it has been 5 weeks and the Off Menu change request was not processed he escelated my order to High Priority. Got a call from my Order Advisor in Montreal who found a match in local inventory and matched a VIN while on the phone. Delivery likely next week.

Seems like they built a float of LR RWD to get through the transition to MR and spread them around. If your order is running long in the tooth, make a call and raise a stink (in a nice Canadian way).

Of thirty-six off-menu LR RWD entries in the spreadsheet between October 18th and October 28th, nineteen have received VIN assignments, and twelve have been delivered. Seventeen do not have VIN's assigned. This includes my unicorn blue with white interior.

Still waiting...

My LR RWD was delivered yesterday afternoon via home delivery. Build date was 10/18, and the car is beautiful. I’m sure if I look hard enough, then I can find some sort of flaw. Haven’t found one yet though. Hope that everybody in limbo gets it sorted out, as these cars are crazy fun to drive and that range is icing on the cake.

Which day did you place the order? How long from having the Delivery Advisor contact you to receiving the final contract to sign? How long after that to actually get the car?

(I've had my initial papers signed and contact from IDA since Nov 12, nothing since then except broken promises of when the contract would be available to sign so that we could schedule the home delivery. Already had to take the gas car on one weekend road trip, and have two more coming up in early December - sucks!)

Hmm, I called to check on my off menu request (RWD LR white interior), the rep said something looked off and requested more time to followup. I received an email afterwards that they received my request to modify my Model 3 order, which I never received when I first submitted the order.

Did I screw myself over even more, or was there something wrong for over a month that was undetected? Previous reps all stated the request was received and pending, and this is the only one who stated there was an issue with it.

I wish I never put in the off menu request for the unicorn :(

Edit: When calling back to the general line, the rep said the modification request from this morning was successfully processed for a LR RWD White Interior. I double checked with him that it was a LR RWD White Interior that was confirmed, and they said that LR production re-started (not sure if that's BS or not?) to fulfill LR RWD orders

Also edit #2: I found this from another forum, not my configuration:
bLX5AnB.png

So I guess unicorns do exist, somehow.

Last edited:
Hmm, I called to check on my off menu request (RWD LR white interior), the rep said something looked off and requested more time to followup. I received an email afterwards that they received my request to modify my Model 3 order, which I never received when I first submitted the order.

Did I screw myself over even more, or was there something wrong for over a month that was undetected? Previous reps all stated the request was received and pending, and this is the only one who stated there was an issue with it.

I wish I never put in the off menu request for the unicorn :(

Edit: When calling back to the general line, the rep said the modification request from this morning was successfully processed for a LR RWD White Interior. I double checked with him that it was a LR RWD White Interior that was confirmed, and they said that LR production re-started (not sure if that's BS or not?) to fulfill LR RWD orders

Also edit #2: I found this from another forum, not my configuration:
bLX5AnB.png

So I guess unicorns do exist, somehow.

I am having a similar issue, do your build details show up like in the screenshot you posted or what does yours say?