Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Off menu" waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MR on the 18th and asked on the 19th to add EAP and FSD. They added EAP finally on Nov 5 but no matter how many people and departments I ask and how many escalated email modification request emails I send in, they won’t add FSD. They say they’re “working on it and backlogged” but I have a hard time imagining their escalation dept can’t add a simple software feature in 3 weeks when cars deliver in less time than that. They also said they may not get to my request before delivery (no VIN assigned) but not to worry I can add it myself for $5k after delivery ($2k more than I want and I also don’t believe them). is there any way to reach a department that can actually MAKE the off menu change or are they doing this on purpose?

I ordered a MR on the 18th and asked on the 19th to add EAP and FSD. They added EAP finally on Nov 5 but no matter how many people and departments I ask and how many escalated email modification request emails I send in, they won’t add FSD. They say they’re “working on it and backlogged” but I have a hard time imagining their escalation dept can’t add a simple software feature in 3 weeks when cars deliver in less time than that. They also said they may not get to my request before delivery (no VIN assigned) but not to worry I can add it myself for $5k after delivery ($2k more than I want and I also don’t believe them). is there any way to reach a department that can actually MAKE the off menu change or are they doing this on purpose?

I heard shortly after the announcement that FSD would be able to be added for a week also. If you ordered on the 19th, you should be good. Don't know why they're giving you so much trouble.

We ordered our M3P+ 11/2 with EAP and no FSD. On 11/3 we asked the rep we worked with in the Houston showroom to see if FSD could be added. She opened a ticket request. We were then contacted 11/7 by our IDA to schedule delivery on 11/28 or sooner. At that time he said it would take a day or two for the request to be addressed. 11/8 we got a notice that our configuration had changed and FSD had been added and our price went up by $3k, Our order agreement and config all now show FSD.

It can be added, however, it seemed to me that the individual we are worked with was very knowledgeable of the Tesla process... she did not guarantee we could get it and she did specifically say that it had to be approved.

If someone has found the person who can actually approve a change I would appreciate if they would share. I changed my configuration and apparently it needs approval, it’s been almost three weeks with phone calls that go unanswered and/or never followed up. Come on Tesla, hire a few more people to work on these if your that backlogged.

I called in to check on my order, and I asked what I could expect.

The rep checked my order date and the change request, and she said that my change request being the same day as my order meant there should be no delays there.

She cited a 4-8 week guidance for LR based on location which is 4, 6, and 8 weeks for west, central, and east coast respectively. Then, she offered picking up the car from Fremont if time was tight at the end of the year. This matches the guidance in the order screen. For me on the East coast, it seems

She believed that my order is in queue to submit to the factory.

I still have many questions.
  • Is it really in queue for production? Does it have to pass through the off-menu team?
  • How important is it for the website to be updated with my order details?
  • Will they actually inform me if it is being built?
Like someone else state, I wish they would just tell me if it's going to be built this year so that I can cancel if needed.

The rep checked my order date and the change request, and she said that my change request being the same day as my order meant there should be no delays there.

She cited a 4-8 week guidance for LR based on location which is 4, 6, and 8 weeks for west, central, and east coast respectively. Then, she offered picking up the car from Fremont if time was tight at the end of the year. This matches the guidance in the order screen. For me on the East coast, it seems

• Is it really in queue for production? Does it have to pass through the off-menu team?
Like someone else state, I wish they would just tell me if it's going to be built this year so that I can cancel if needed.

We were told to cancel for a Houston delivery if we did not have a VIN by the first week in December by our rep in Houston if we wanted to meet the drop dead for the full tax credit. This was after we stated how important that it was to our purchase decision...

She also made it clear that because we wanted to do the M3P+ we would most likely have no issue with an 11/2 order date taking delivery before year end in Houston. We now have a delivery date of 11/28 (our IDA things is will be sooner). Based upon our experience it seems pretty clear that the high dollar options were the safest bet if you wanted year-end delivery. Again, we went into the showroom knowing that would be our car if we liked it and told our representative that was the case first thing. No up-sale occurred. We are replacing a 2015 M4 convertible my wife drives.

I get the same reassurances with every other rep, with others just saying it's really backed up and may take another week to go through.

However, some people had their LR White Interior RWDs from off menu requests update and show on the website before any delivery information was available. I talked to someone elsewhere who confirmed that.

I think it's pure speculation whether it the process changed now and if it's in a queue for production or not. It also seems like VINs only come after a vehicle is produced, but not during production itself in most cases.

I do feel like I screwed up though, by putting in the off menu request. That's for sure.

I received an 11/12 home delivery date on 11/2, and my VIN showed up early last week (ordered 10/24). Unfortunately, the delivery got moved to 11/16 on my Tesla account sometime on Saturday or early Sunday. Emailed the advisor, and she said that they were having some delivery logistics issues due to the wildfires. Apparently that team has been displaced, so some deliveries are having their schedules affected. Supposed to head out of town for a week on the 17th, so hopefully the 16th is firm. We'll see.

Ordered a MR RWD black with black interior and EAP on 10/25. Spoke to Tesla and emailed for off menu switch to LR RWD on the same day (10/25). Spoke to Tesla twice now. Online account still has not been updated to LR. They assure me I'm in the queue to get modified. Spoke again to someone on Wednesday and they claimed to send an escalation request. Still nothing. Not getting any warm and fuzzy that Tesla is on top of this. @bonnie get any indication of what's really going on?

I'm in this waiting room.

I wanted a LR RWD put didn't pull the trigger until after they made it Off Menu so..

Ordered online 10/21/18
  • Mid Range Rear-Wheel Drive-----Changed Later
  • Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Enhanced Autopilot
Called in and changed to LR on 10/22/18 was given a case# on the phone.

Still waiting for website to update to LR and no dates or any info yet.
I'm in the same boat.

I called my local store and they happened to have a LR RWD in a nearby transload facility with no owner yet. My sales guy told me to put in an order online for the config that matched exactly the car he had available, but in the long-range AWD variant. The next morning he was able to swap it for me and I now have the LR RWD assigned to me (though no VIN yet...). Financing approved. Now the Delivery person is working out logistics on how/when to get it to me! (650km from nearest Tesla building.)

I called my local store and they happened to have a LR RWD in a nearby transload facility with no owner yet. My sales guy told me to put in an order online for the config that matched exactly the car he had available, but in the long-range AWD variant. The next morning he was able to swap it for me and I now have the LR RWD assigned to me (though no VIN yet...). Financing approved. Now the Delivery person is working out logistics on how/when to get it to me! (650km from nearest Tesla building.)

What exterior color did you get?

No update or response to
My email on my pickup that was supposed to happen Friday.

These guys are idiots.... I’m waiting and we will see what I decide. I may tell them I am refusing delivery on the “service alert” brand new vehicle that needed several days to be fixed.

Do I matter... of course not but I also am not in a huge frenzy to take delivery at any cost on the vehicle. It better be flawless , and only then will I think about it.

Stand by

No update or response to
My email on my pickup that was supposed to happen Friday.

These guys are idiots.... I’m waiting and we will see what I decide. I may tell them I am refusing delivery on the “service alert” brand new vehicle that needed several days to be fixed.

Do I matter... of course not but I also am not in a huge frenzy to take delivery at any cost on the vehicle. It better be flawless , and only then will I think about it.

Stand by

You're not gonna get a flawless car. You just have to decide what level of imperfection you're willing to taking delivery of, and wait to get fixed .

Ordered a MR RWD black with black interior and EAP on 10/25. Spoke to Tesla and emailed for off menu switch to LR RWD on the same day (10/25). Spoke to Tesla twice now. Online account still has not been updated to LR. They assure me I'm in the queue to get modified. Spoke again to someone on Wednesday and they claimed to send an escalation request. Still nothing. Not getting any warm and fuzzy that Tesla is on top of this. @bonnie get any indication of what's really going on?
No idea. I'd just make sure to keep a paper trail & confirm configuration when you're scheduled for delivery.