Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Off menu" waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the same reassurances with every other rep, with others just saying it's really backed up and may take another week to go through.

However, some people had their LR White Interior RWDs from off menu requests update and show on the website before any delivery information was available. I talked to someone elsewhere who confirmed that.

I think it's pure speculation whether it the process changed now and if it's in a queue for production or not. It also seems like VINs only come after a vehicle is produced, but not during production itself in most cases.

I do feel like I screwed up though, by putting in the off menu request. That's for sure.

I was one of those that had a LR RWD with white interior and that config was even showing on the website for a while. After several weeks, the interior was changed to black and I was assigned a VIN. I asked to change it back to white and we tried multiple times in multiple ways - each was canceled. If you are still sitting on a LR RWD with white interior I'd start making calls ASAP if you want the full $7,500 credit. I'd expect the only option left is getting something with a black interior from inventory somewhere.

I was one of those that had a LR RWD with white interior and that config was even showing on the website for a while. After several weeks, the interior was changed to black and I was assigned a VIN. I asked to change it back to white and we tried multiple times in multiple ways - each was canceled. If you are still sitting on a LR RWD with white interior I'd start making calls ASAP if you want the full $7,500 credit. I'd expect the only option left is getting something with a black interior from inventory somewhere.

That was you. The weird thing is you're the only one I've heard of that had their order rejected for the white interior. Everyone else is still rolling along.

You can document everything on the bill of sale and due bill. Granted I was much pickier about my Tesla 3 than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned they told me they’d take care of it. The only disappointment is that it couldn’t be done immediately and while the two paint flaws I found are a minor annoyance it does not limit my enjoyment of the car.

Just curious for those still waiting if you are day one reservation (or close) holders and if all your requested information, DL, insurance, financing info were all filled out? Also if you selected cash instead of tesla financing.

I read awhile ago that Tesla may be prioritizing those who are paying cash, after all they need cash, versus financing. I went with financing on my own but Tesla received checks and credit card payments to cover the balance upon delivery... Of course I called just about everyone I could almost every other day from Tesla CA to my local delivery centers when I was asking the status of my off menu change. I don’t really have a special order vehicle tho: Solid black RWD LR, black int, 18”, no EAP, so it might not be a fair comparison.

Well after last minute post pone delivery for a LR that needs “service” work done ... if any of you want one it may be released soon.

I put in a request to switch to AWD. I’ll hold off on the EAP and use the trial, if it’s a must have then I will know. Waiting to hear back, the one I will be pulling out on is in Seattle.

My bank won't move forward until we have a finalized Purchase Agreement and my DA isn't responding. What's going to happen to me?

And Lyftup - why the switch to AWD?

Bad part about outside financing , I have the check in hand but the loan was tied to the vin.

Now that I will change cars, I have to start over and reapply and also have the underwriter note the change.

As to AWD.... read the threads stayed up late last night. Overall I want the performance, grip (wife’s Audi has AwD and I think it’s a huge component of the ride feel) and heck if I get tired of it in 2 years ... resale will recoup some of the $4k.

Good luck

Just curious for those still waiting if you are day one reservation (or close) holders and if all your requested information, DL, insurance, financing info were all filled out? Also if you selected cash instead of tesla financing.

I read awhile ago that Tesla may be prioritizing those who are paying cash, after all they need cash, versus financing. I went with financing on my own but Tesla received checks and credit card payments to cover the balance upon delivery...

That makes no sense. Whether you finance or not makes no difference to Tesla. They get paid regardless. Whether it's from your bank account or the bank's, it's still the same cash to Tesla. It might be a little more hassle for the workers and you to get the paperwork right, but at the time of the transaction, there's really no difference. A check gets handed over. They don't care who it's from. They really only balk at attempts to put too much on a credit card because the credit card charges fees. They'll only eat so much in fees, which is reasonable.

I think I will go ahead and schedule the RWD. It’s there and ready to go, if flawless I will take delivery and save the $4k. It’s the original car I was supposed to eat last week but only needed a “software” fix ... wink wink. Not sure I buy that 100%

If it is not flawless I will reject and go with backup plan of AWD.

I just went through my mind I wanted AWD after the delay ..... then they hurry and say it was only software. Why did it take 3 days for that?
because they are backed up and you didn't even buy the car so why would it be a priority for them?

this isn't a car, it's a computer, nothing surprising that it has bugs and some things are just software issues. i wouldn't worry about it.

Why does there seem to be such an AWD bias around the forums? It's almost to that Subaru level, where if you got somewhere and didn't crash you must thank your AWD unit. They're starting to make me question my RWD choice, like the poster above!

My wife insists that I'm experiencing FOMO and reminds me that we've never had AWD and also never had issues with snow, but...

Why does there seem to be such an AWD bias around the forums? It's almost to that Subaru level, where if you got somewhere and didn't crash you must thank your AWD unit. They're starting to make me question my RWD choice, like the poster above!

My wife insists that I'm experiencing FOMO and reminds me that we've never had AWD and also never had issues with snow, but...

Completely agree, a lot of the forum seems to worship AWD. I have always lived in snowy winter climates and only had RWD or FWD and I have never had an accident. AWD makes people feel safer and I think also drive a little less cautiously because they think AWD can conquer anything.

Good news / Bad news. Tesla sent me the "scheduled delivery" email and I have a date of Dec. 4th. However, there's no indication in my online account that the build has been changed to LR RWD. Also sent an email to the local store asking if there are any orphaned LR RWD and they replied with two LR AWD models and didn't acknowledge my request for RWD. Failure of customer service 101: acknowledge concern, address it with or without a solution.