TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Off Peak Charging - How Do You Do It?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by fishheavy99, Jan 15, 2020.

1. fishheavy99

fishheavy99 Member

Hi All,

What is the best practise for off-peak charging? I set up a scheduled charge with a start time of 9:15pm, which makes sense, but the departure time is confusing, mine varies, I don't really want it doing anything other then making sure it doesn't charge past 9am.

My off-peak times are 9pm-9am M-F and All Day on Weekends.

Weird there isn't a setting to just tell the car when it can and cannot charge...

2. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Our local utility gives us solar customers extra incentive to charge between 12 AM and 6 AM, so I just set the charge to start at 12 AM. I don't worry about the departure time...

Our 2016 Volt does have the capability to set charging during set times, seasons, rates, etc, but I honestly prefer the Tesla system better. It's more intuitive to me ......

3. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

What is your input?

At 240V/48 amps of the HPWC, even a 0-100% charge won’t take near 12 hours. At 240V/32A of the mobile charger, you are still charging at 30mph which means a full charge is less than 12 hours.

if you are charging at 120V, your concerns are valid but...dang...that’s painful for reasons other than expensive electricity.

4. CrayZ1

CrayZ1 Member

You would not like a Charge Start programmer for a Volt or other PHEV. You want the battery conditioned, and 100% when you leave to maximize your range. For long range EVs, this is not much of an issue unless you have a low speed EVSE and a longer commute, then there is a problem:

Say your circuit only allows 12 amps x 120 volt where you charge (normal wall outlet). And you have to leave for work at 6 am. If you program charging to always start at midnight, you are adding 35 miles. Which is enough for some people, but not all. If you drive 50 miles a day, would you like the charger to automatically start at 8:15 pm so you have enough kWh? Or if you ran some errands, start even earlier?

Departure based charging is also better for your battery. It preheats the battery naturally by the charger at the coldest part of the day.

5. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Not an issue for me as I am not charging from a normal wall outlet, I am no longer concerned about a departure time and the Volt is no longer a daily driven car. A complete charge (electric range at 0 and car switches to gas) takes a little less than 4 hours, so it is finished before 6 AM. Also, my off peak rates are cheeper from midnight to noon as opposed to 8 pm to midnight. The longest I have seen it charge was 6 hours, so it has always finished within the solar customer discount the utility company provides.

According to google, the coldest part of the day is in the early morning hours just after sunrise.

6. CrayZ1

CrayZ1 Member

For us that's 7 am right now.

Jaguar could not figure out departure charging either, but you program in a departure, and it preheats the interior and battery for optimum range. You still have program in your start time.

Some days I would drive 150 miles or more and have to manually start the charge just to be safe.

7. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

I think you are confusing yourself a bit here, because you dont have to configure scheduled departure time. Just set a scheduled charge time (which is start time) and ignore departure time.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Do you have an I-Pace ? How do you like it ? I've yet to see one on the road .....

9. CCIE

CCIE Member

I wish Tesla had the GM system. In the Volt you tell it when your off-peak rates are (days & hours) and give it an estimated departure time for each day. Then it will schedule charging within the off-peak window and complete charging by the departure time.

Tesla's system is primitive by comparison. Even the new departure-based charging setting is flawed because it assumes everyone's off-peak ends at 6am (mine ends at noon).

10. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yes, the interface is confusing on that, because you actually can't use both of those together, which isn't very clear. You have to pick either start time or end time. So yeah, just pick your start time for when the cheaper rates turn on and it's done.

11. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Member

For each location where you charge (though usually only one or two) you can either tell the car when to start charging or when to finish charging, which ever is right for you.

My cheapest power rate is midnight to 6am on a 240v/30A connection. So I normally set the car to start charging at 12:15am and it is normally finished between 2am and 3am.

If you set the car to begin charging at 9pm (for example) why might it not be finished by 9am? You'd have to have a pretty slow charge rate for this to be an issue.

If you are charging on a 240v circuit, just set the car to finish by (say) 6am and let it figure out when to start.

If on a 120v circuit, set to start at 9pm, and attach it to a timer on the 120v socket, so the power is switched off at 9am.
    But wouldn't you be leaving for work before then, so perhaps you don't need a timer because you probably would normally have unplugged it and drive off before 9am?
    Regardless, on a 120v circuit, occasionally extending the charging window is pretty cheap anyway.

12. GalacticHero

GalacticHero Member

I have the car programmed to start charging at 9 pm and have a repeating reminder on my phone to remind me to stop charging at 9 am. I'm still using 120V charging so it often won't be finished overnight. Since I can stop charging with the app on the phone, getting the reminder there works well. If I miss the reminder, it's not a huge deal if it runs into more expensive charging for a single day.

• Like x 1