Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off Peak Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can it possibly be that Tesla can manage FSD, but not provide an option to avoid Peak Demand charging tariffs. Even our 2016 Kia Soul EV can do that :rolleyes:
I imagine because it’s a solved problem for 99.99% of customers, so it’s not a development priority. I have a 3-tier TOU plan - for 5 years now, “scheduled charging after off-peak starts” has worked just fine.

Resurrecting this thread, because I am just remembering how stupid this is... I live in Austin, (Elon's new home town) and have EV360 - a program which is flat rate $30 if you charge between 7 pm and 2 pm - you pay premium rates if you charge between 2pm and 7pm - so we have a single "peak" period. My Taycan lets me schedule a preferred charging window (set to 7 pm to 2 pm) and a "minimum charge". So it will charge to the minimum at any time of day, and the remainder of the way during my preferred times. Simple.

My *Tesla* roof lets me set an arbitrary number of peak times and levels to maximize cost savings / payment for sending power back to the grid, using exactly the same app that I use for my car.

Either of these implementations are fine. Basically what I want for my wife's Model X - Charge fully as soon as I plug it in during off peak, otherwise, don't. Or even better - otherwise, make sure I have some charge (charge any time) and charge the rest of the way during off peak. It's a simple request. She doesn't have some set time that she goes out, or returns, so "departure time" is worthless - I want it to charge when I plug it in, not at some arbitrary time in the future, and I don't want to set start time to 7 pm, since, if I plug it in at 10 am (when I want it to charge), it says it will wait until 7 to charge. Crazy.

So right now, she plugs it in when she gets home, unless it's after 2 pm and before 7. If it's during that window, she sets an Alexa alarm. The coding for this is simple, and they *already have a solution*. So why not allow us to set that schedule?

Reactions: COS Blue