Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-peak departure time charging without climate setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
I set my Model X for a departure time of 5:45 AM, mostly because I want it to charge off-peak before in the mornings, but I find puddles of air conditioner condensation in my garage.

How can I just shut off the cabin temp preconditioning so it just charges and I'll set the temperature when the time comes? I usually just open the windows anyway...

Speaking of which, there ought to be a setting for new cars to auto-open the windows to vent so the upholstery volatiles that fog up the insides of the windows don't make such a mess for the first year or so...

I set my Model X for a departure time of 5:45 AM, mostly because I want it to charge off-peak before in the mornings, but I find puddles of air conditioner condensation in my garage.

How can I just shut off the cabin temp preconditioning so it just charges and I'll set the temperature when the time comes? I usually just open the windows anyway...
If the setting was a snake it would have bit you. Your question is confusing based on that. (it would be odd to me that it doesn't exist on your car like some strange missing option on the Plaid ... ala energy graph).
The puddle may be from cooling the battery for charging.
Here is mine and the precondition is off.
AL8ULph.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed
If the setting was a snake it would have bit you. Your question is confusing based on that. (it would be odd to me that it doesn't exist on your car like some strange missing option on the Plaid ... ala energy graph).
The puddle may be from cooling the battery for charging.
Here is mine and the precondition is off.
AL8ULph.jpg
YAY! Thanks, @scottf200 , for your help! I found it on the APP; I'd have thought shutting off precondition would be on the touchscreen too, but even the Tesla tech guy (whose specialty is supercharging) couldn't help me find it...

I like to open windows instead of A/C unless it's very hot, especially in the spring, so running the A/C is wasted. Can't believe they don't distinguish between heat and A/C. Or offer battery precondition as a separate option...

Unless that snake's hiding on the touchscreen and I overlooked it too...

Reactions: scottf200
YAY! Thanks, @scottf200 , for your help! I found it on the APP; I'd have thought shutting off precondition would be on the touchscreen too, but even the Tesla tech guy (whose specialty is supercharging) couldn't help me find it...
You're welcome. I just went to check my car and it is in charging scheduling "Settings" area.

1dXGrAZ.jpg

But does "Preconditioning" in this context mean BATTERY? Or does it mean CLIMATE CONTROL preconditioning?? Like so many things Tesla, it's not clear.
It means both. But IMO if scheduled charging is doing the right thing and finishing charging on time, the battery is already preconditioned as a result of charging. You should think of precondition as being for climate control.

I like to open windows instead of A/C unless it's very hot, especially in the spring, so running the A/C is wasted. Can't believe they don't distinguish between heat and A/C. Or offer battery precondition as a separate option...

In reference to the HVAC, it will activate on the settings it was on when you were last in the car. If you know the morning will be chilly, then turn up the temp a few degrees before getting out and the heat will turn on. Same for A/C. Unless you’re in a very cold climate and the car is outside, battery preconditioning as an extra step is pretty much already done since you’ve just finished charging.

This finally works well with the 2022 releases and I finally feel like I don't have to think about it anymore and just set it to charge at midnight and forget it. Even if I finish the day at 0% I'll start the next day at 50% or better. It was not always that way and often screwed up the preconditioning schedule, but I like the relatively dumb, start charging at x time and stop when you reach charge setpoint, setup now.

• Informative
This finally works well with the 2022 releases and I finally feel like I don't have to think about it anymore and just set it to charge at midnight and forget it. Even if I finish the day at 0% I'll start the next day at 50% or better. It was not always that way and often screwed up the preconditioning schedule, but I like the relatively dumb, start charging at x time and stop when you reach charge setpoint, setup now.
The scheduled charging setup mentioned in the quoted post here was available before scheduled departure was even a thing, they effectively hid it by making scheduled departure the default in a really clunky UI, but I was able to successfully switch back to scheduled charging after accidentally enabling scheduled departure (it switched to that automatically if you accidentally touched the schedule button in the A/C window pre-v11). Now, in v11, I see an option to disable preconditioning on the MCU if I want to use scheduled departure, but when I turn off that option, it effectively disables scheduled departure and prompts something like "turn on at least one option to use this feature" even though there is only the one option. AFAIK, scheduled departure still has hardcoded peak times that it follows for charging, so I haven't messed with it. However, I can't see the pictures toward the beginning of this thread, so I'm not sure what OP's solution was, and it ay be that there are multiple options in the app to make it behave correctly. I'm also not looking in the app, because the charging button isn't one of my 4 configured buttons, and AFAICT, there's no way to find the charging settings in that scenario except when the vehicle is plugged in.

• Helpful