Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-peak Hours confusion…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have somewhat of the same confusion as when off-peak and peak hours for Tesla Superchargers. I’m seeing different hours from different sources and the last official announce from Tesla was April of 2022. Does that still stand and what are the hours?

A different reason for why Teslas are BS in a hot roll. That's not a sentiment I agree with, BTW, just trying to clear up any confusion.

I agree there are problems in this area. It's annoying when it charges at a peak time, but it's often just a few dollars wasted.
I don't care about the "dollars wasted". It actually doesn't cost me any more. My EV charging plan is that I've promised to not charge at peak times, in exchange for a fixed reimbursement by the utility. They are paying me to not charge at peak times, so I don't feel I should be blase about it.

Until Tesla fixes this, I use phone reminders to check that the car is behaving. "Hey Google. At three pm remind me to check that Nick isn't f#>=$ing charging."

That's where I call BS on Tesla. It's such a simple concept, but instead of just making the damn car work, they have to add fart noises and try to have every wiz-bang feature in the book. Why add features if they don't work right???

That's what cell phones are for, to remind us that we don't matter at all. We are just Pavlov's dogs, trained to buy all the new crap, whether it works or not. I don't need that from my car too!

I wish I had my '63 Chevy II back...

I see that over the last year, it's only screwed up for about 1% of the charging.

View attachment 904527

I have somewhat of the same confusion as when off-peak and peak hours for Tesla Superchargers. I’m seeing different hours from different sources and the last official announce from Tesla was April of 2022. Does that still stand and what are the hours?

Another reason why it's so nice to have free Supercharging for life. Now, if I could just live for another 100 years, it will be worthwhile.

Ok, with these settings I put in the app does that mean my car will only charge between 12 am midnight to 4 pm?

But since i have the departure set to 5:45 am then the car will start charging at some point between 12 am midnight and 5:45 am so that it will finish by 5:45?

Attachments

• IMG_0621.png
    IMG_0621.png
    222.2 KB · Views: 13
Ok, with these settings I put in the app does that mean my car will only charge between 12 am midnight to 4 pm?

But since i have the departure set to 5:45 am then the car will start charging at some point between 12 am midnight and 5:45 am so that it will finish by 5:45?
Good question (and this is why I'm glad I don't have to use the Tesla app to schedule my charging). I'm not sure why Tesla don't have an off-peak start time configurable in addition to the end time. Personally, my peak hours are 4-9pm, but there's no way to tell that to Tesla. Anyway...yeah, I'd assume that it'll start charging at midnight or later with those settings because Tesla assume that midnight is off-peak for everyone...but no promises.

Yes. See at the bottom of the app screenshot you posted. It states you will charge off peak and be done by 5:45am. I have mine set up the same way. I could plug in at 6pm but the car will not start charging until I get to super off peak (midnight) and stop at 6am for my set up.

Yes. See at the bottom of the app screenshot you posted. It states you will charge off peak and be done by 5:45am. I have mine set up the same way. I could plug in at 6pm but the car will not start charging until I get to super off peak (midnight) and stop at 6am for my set up.
Ok good, that means it’s impossible for it to charge during both of my peak hours, now I can just plug in every day without thinking about it

It all depends FYI.
Yes you can tweak it so it tries not to charge right away during off peak end times.
BUT if say your SOC is SUPER low and it will take 10 hours to charge it will start charging regardless to make sure the Tesla leaves during your scheduled departure.

So it is possible for the Tesla to still charge during crazy expensive peak times. I have the Tessie app and it actually tells me when the Tesla starts charging. I wish Tesla did this haha.

Reactions: freeAgent
It all depends FYI.
Yes you can tweak it so it tries not to charge right away during off peak end times.
BUT if say your SOC is SUPER low and it will take 10 hours to charge it will start charging regardless to make sure the Tesla leaves during your scheduled departure.

So it is possible for the Tesla to still charge during crazy expensive peak times. I have the Tessie app and it actually tells me when the Tesla starts charging. I wish Tesla did this haha.
The app definitely needs more options, with a wall charger getting 30-40 mph though it shouldn’t charge during either of my peak hours to finish by departure

Reactions: freeAgent