Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off-peak Hours confusion…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new update, I’m a bit confused by the ‘Utility off-peak rates end at’ verbiage…

From PG&E utility: Off-Peak (lowest price) – before 4 p.m. and after 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and all hours on weekends and most holidays.

As such…
Peak rates = 4-9pm
Off-peak rates = 9-4pm

Does that mean I should set ‘Utility off-peak rates end at’ to 4 p.m.? How will the car know to begin charging at 9pm?

REALLY wish it would just let me put in the peak rate range o_O

I think you guys are making this harder than it needs to be.

you can schedule your car to begin charging at a certain time (I.e. 9pm) or you can schedule your car to be ready at (~7am). If you use the departure option, it will stop charging at your scheduled time OR when peak rates start. Whatever occurs first

most of the year I have mine set to start charging at 7pm. But in winter months, it’s nice to have the scheduled departure so my battery is warmer.

We are talking about the new update here

The new update removed the "start charging at" time and now only has a "Utility off-peak rates end at" time. Well this is useless. I totally agree I would prefer a charge between x-x times Our off peak rates are 8p to 7a So I set it for 6:30a so it wouldn't charge past that. Got home at 6p and plugged it in and it started charging right away saying it would be done in 2hr and 30min. What the heck? So I unplugged it, checking all my times and waited until about 10p, in the off peak time, plugged it in and sure enough it just started to charge right away. So that doesn't work at all.

At least the way it used to be I set it to start to charge at midnight knowing it would never take more than 6 hours and at least that worked...

We are talking about the new update here

The new update removed the "start charging at" time and now only has a "Utility off-peak rates end at" time. Well this is useless.

That’s wrong. The new software has two modes. They are “scheduled departure” and “scheduled charging”.

You’re in Scheduled Departure mode. Click the “Switch to Scheduled Charging” link to change modes to how you want it to behave.

image.jpg

I see, but how is the scheduled departure at with an off peak done at time suppose to help? I don't understand...

How I want it to behave is to set a time it can start charging at and stop charging no matter what by xxx.

Well, first, you need to contact your local electric company and ask them specifically what their off peak hours are and then schedule your charger to come on at the time they tell you. Mine comes on at 9PM and then goes off well before the off peak ends the next day.

CHARGING.jpg

For instance, I merely googled and came up with the below times and rate structure. 50 cents versus 9 cents is a big difference:

off peak.JPG

Last edited:
I am very well aware if when our off peak is as I posted that above, which is 8p to 7a.

Steps again
1. Schedule Departure
2. Car will charge during off-peak hours to depart by 8:00 AM
3. toggle Off-Peak Charging on
4. Select Weekdays
5. hit the "Change off-peak hours"
6. set "Utility off-peak rates and at" 7:00 AM

Now what I assume will happen is the car would calculate backwards from 7a and start charging when it thought it should start charging to be done by 7a. So what does the depart time by 8:00 AM do if I have the "Preconditioning" box off? I just don't want the car to do something else like warm up the battery. Or will all it do is set a to be done at time, like our Leaf does?

I find Tesla's charging configurations to be a bit confusing, but I'm also new to the car. In any case, I've worked around it by setting up my EVSE (Chargepoint Home Flex) to disable charging during peak hours. That way I know that no matter what I have the car set to do, I won't be charging during the peak rate period.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I set my "off peak end time" to 12PM (noon) - My on peak is 12PM - 6PM M-F, everything else is off peak.

Well, today I came home at 2PM (during Peak time), plugged in, and it immediately started charging. It turns out I never hit the "SET" button after setting all my options. So while my fault, it's still a very clunky interface

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Apone